Starting your Senior Project? Need help with your research? Fill out our online Research Consulation form.
Extended Loan Periods
The Senior Project loan permits seniors (as defined by the Registrar) to borrow library materials for a full semester; thus, materials checked out in the fall semester will be due in mid December and materials checked out in the spring semester will be due in mid May. See a librarian if regular items you check out do not show this extended due date. Extended loans do NOT apply to ConnectNY or Interlibrary Loan books or reserves materials and books from our browsing collection.
Senior Carrels are assigned by a lottery held every year in the beginning of the Fall semester. Seniors receive e-mails with the details in August, and information is posted on the library’s website. To participate in the lottery, a senior should be working on a text-based, research project, and his/her library record should have no outstanding overdue or missing books or fines. Contact Betsy Cawley with questions.
During the lottery, interested seniors will be directed to a website where they will fill out a simple form. These will be submitted to a random drawing. Those seniors whose names have been chosen will be notified by e-mail and they will be given certain times during which they may pick out a carrel.
- Library books on your carrel must be properly checked out. Make sure the correct “Date Due” is stamped in each book. As always, the date on your library account is the official date by which you need to return that book.
- Books kept at your carrel should be left sensitized. If you want to take them out of the library, the Circulation Desk can desensitize them when you leave and re-sensitize them when you return the books to your carrel.
- Non-circulating materials may not be kept at your carrel. These include: periodicals, reference books, Senior Projects, Reserves books and photography books.
- The carrel is not yours exclusively. Others may sit there when it is not in use.
- If you share your carrel with another student, make sure to notify librarian Betsy Cawley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We do not recommend keeping personal copies of books at your carrel because we have no way to protect them from being stolen.
- The senior loan period for borrowing books is one semester. Please note that ConnectNY books always have a loan period of 21 days with one renewal. If you still need ConnectNY books when the due date is up, please return them and reorder. Don’t forget to renew your Stevenson Library books by the due date at the end of the Fall semester if you want to keep them longer. Books from our Browsing Collections have a 28 day borrowing period, with one renewal.
- Please return books from your carrels at the end of the Spring semester. Books left on carrels past the due date at the end of the Spring semester will accrue fines until library staff have a chance to clear the carrels.
- No heating or cooking appliances may be kept in the library. There is no smoking anywhere in the library.
- Please help us maintain the library by treating your carrel space with respect. Do not leave food or drinks at your carrel, and take care that your belongings stay on the carrel (not the windowsills or floor), so they do not become a hindrance to the cleaning staff.
Senior Project Format
Please feel free to contact a librarian for help with your senior project research. We would be happy to set up an appointment for a reference session. Click here for information about our Senior Projects collection.
The Form of the Senior Project
- Title page
- (Preface, if included)
- Table of contents (list of chapters with their page numbers)
- Body of text
- Footnotes (if these do not appear elsewhere)
- Use uniform size paper, 8.5 x 11 inches.
- Leave a margin of approximately 1 inch on the left and 1 inch on the right, top, and bottom of the page.
- Double space the body of the text. Ask your adviser whether you should follow the MLA, APA, or CMS recommendations for your citations and bibliography.
- Illustrative material such as graphs, maps, and photographs can be integrated into the text or placed in appendices at the end.
- Number pages consecutively, with Arabic numerals; the first numbered page should be the first page of the text proper. The title page, dedication, and table of contents should not be numbered. (These preliminary pages or any others may be designated with roman numerals if desired.)
- Numbers should appear in the upper right hand corner of the pages, or in the middle of the top margin, without periods or hyphens.
The final version of your senior project should be carefully proofread for typographical errors, correct grammar, and proper citation. Rely on Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary and The MLA Handbook or The Chicago Manual of Style, 14th ed. for all editorial questions.
Sample Title Page:
Indonesian Vernacular Architecture:
Of Home, the Body, and the Universe
Senior Project submitted to
The Division of Social Studies
of Bard College
Annandale-on-Hudson, New York
Senior Project Last Minute Guide
- You should submit your project or artist's statement (Arts Division majors) online by May 1st at: http://digitalcommons.bard.edu/senproj_s2013/
- For your submission, the...
*Abstract/Artist’s Statement is the place to put a project abstract or artist’s statement IF your program requires one.
*Distribution Option indicates how accessible you’d like your digital senior project to be to the public. Please note Bard’s policy: online access to most projects will be on-campus only. Some projects, after consultation with project advisors, will be proposed for wider accessibility.
*Creative Commons Licensing is where you indicate your preference regarding the protection of your intellectual property. Choose among the listed options. To learn more about CC licensing, click here. You set and retain rights to your project.
*There are no file size limits at this time, either for text or media. If you have a question about attaching media files associated with your project, we're happy to help - email us at email@example.com.
- Download a Title Page Template - just fill in your info and save it.
- The Library copy of your senior project can be doubled sided!
- Want to know how to combine your project files into one file while maintaining each section's formatting and pagination?
Do this on a PC...
Save your Word .doc files as PDFs (PC): Video | PDF
Merge PDFs into one PDF file (PC): Video
Do this on a Mac...
Save your Word .doc files as PDFs (Mac): Video
Merge PDFs into one document (Mac): Video