In light of the fact that the archival materials are preserved for the purpose of making them available, research requests are welcomed in the form of in-person visits, as well as telephone calls, written letters, email, or online via the Archives Request Form.
Researchers intending to visit are encouraged to call ahead to ensure that Archives staff will be available to assist them. As stated above, complex research requests from individuals outside the Bard community will be handled as time and resources allow. All materials are non circulating, but duplication of materials will be allowed according to the Duplication Policy stated below:
- Researchers must complete a Duplication Request Form before duplication orders can be processed.
- Archives & Special Collections staff must approve each duplication request. Requests may be denied if, in the judgment of the staff, such copying will harm the original item(s), or is prohibited by donor arrangements or US copyright law.
- The staff of Archives & Special Collections will normally do all copying. Photographic reproduction or other copying services may be provided by other college departments or outside vendors. Archives & Special Collections will consider requests by researchers to copy items with personal cameras.
- In cases where photocopying is not possible, staff may suggest other methods of duplication, such as digital reproduction.
- All copies (of whatever type) are provided for the researcher's personal use. Further duplication of copies is not permitted, nor may those copies be deposited in another institution.
- In making use of copies, researchers assume full responsibility for any infringement of copyright or publication rights belonging to the author, the author's heirs or assigns. Researchers also accept responsibility for communicating with the holder(s) of copyright concerning permissions to quote or otherwise publish material protected by copyright. An exception to this concerns duplication of Bard College Senior Project manuscripts. When the item to be duplicated is a Senior Project, archives staff will contact the author for permission to make the requested copy.
- In making copies available, Bard College does not thereby grant permission to reproduce those copies or to quote extensively from them for publication. For permission to publish, please write to Bard College Archives & Special Collections, Stevenson Library, 1 Library Rd., Annandale-on-Hudson, NY 12504. A publication fee may apply.
- Archives & Special Collections processes orders as quickly as possible. Requests from on-site researchers take precedence; research requests received through the mail, by phone or electronically will be handled as time and staffing allow.
- Researchers agree to pay the Bard Archives & Special Collections department all costs incurred in making requested copies according to the established fee schedule.
Duplication Fee Schedule
- Photocopies: 20 cents per page.
- Digital output: Digital image, produced from on-site flatbed scanner: $10.00. If a cd is required, add $1.00.
- Off-site scans using digital camera: Contact staff for pricing.
- For mail orders, a postage and handling fee will also be applied. Orders totaling $15.00 or less will be charged an additional $3.00 for postage and handling; orders totaling more than $15.00 will be charged at a rate of 20% of the total.