The Art of Architecture at Bard (part 2)
< Previous Page  |  HOME  |  Next Page >
1. The Franklin W. Olin Humanities Building, ca 2000s. Built in 1987 by architect Cathy Simon, Olin contains classrooms, a language center, and an auditorium. The College celebrated its opening with a dedication concert, and the conference Freedom of Inquiry—Perspectives and Questions, at which Mary McCarthy, then Charles P. Stevenson Jr. Chair in Literature, provided the keynote address. Popup image not available.

2. Architectural drawing of Tewksbury Hall, 1957. Tewksbury was completed in 1959 as a women’s dormitory first known as “the New Dorm.” Designed by alumni architects Peter-Paul Muller ’40 and Sidney Shelov ’37, it represented the first modernist building on campus.

3. Charles P. Stevenson Library, ca. mid- 1990s. Designed by Robert Venturi, the Charles P. Stevenson Library opened its doors in 1993. Photograph by Don Hamerman.

4. CCS-Bard Hessel Museum, ca. 2006. The Center for Curatorial Studies was founded in 1990, and expanded in 2006 with the support of Marieluise Hessel to house the CCS Bard Hessel Museum of Art. Photograph by Karl Rabe.
5. The Milton and Sally Avery Arts Center, ca. mid-2000s. In 2004, the Milton and Sally Avery Arts Center was renovated and expanded. In 2008, the Jim Ottaway Jr. Film Center was opened, housing screening/ seminar rooms, an animation studio, a 110- seat theater, and a media lab. Photograph by Don Hamerman.

6. The Ravine Houses, ca. 1980. “The Ravines” were modular dorms completed in 1972. Named for seven faculty members who shaped the College in the mid-twentieth century, they survived for almost three decades.

7. The Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts, ca. mid-2000s. The Frank Gehry-designed Fisher Center opened in 2003, and is the home of the Bard Music Festival and the venue for many SummerScape performances. Its dance and theater studios provide rehearsal space for undergraduates and its Sosnoff Theater provides the region a first-class concert hall. Photograph © Peter Aaron ’68/Esto.
8. Beneath the undulating eaves of the Fisher Center’s main façade, ca. mid-2000s. Photograph © Peter Aaron ’68/Esto.

9. Fisher Center in winter, ca. mid-2000s. Photograph by Don Hamerman.

10. The Gabrielle H. Reem and Herbert J. Kayden Center for Science and Computation opened in 2007, designed by Rafael Viñoly Architects. Photograph © Peter Aaron ’68/ Esto.
logo archives email alumni email alumni site bard archives site