|1. Rhoda Levine ’53 poses for Steve
Burr ’53 in a campus studio, early 1950s. Photograph by David Brooks ’45.
2. Preston Hall, date unknown. Two men
stand in Preston Hall with tables set for an
event. Preston was built in 1873 with funds
donated by Betsy Preston, a cook in the employ
of John Aspinwall. The gift represented
her life savings. To honor her, St. Stephen’s
built a refectory that remained in continuous
use as a dining hall, with separate
rooms for students and faculty, until Kline
Commons was completed in 1972.
3. Students gather to enjoy some live
music, ca. late 1940s. Identified are Susan
Wender ’48 at piano; James Pines ’46;
Charles Friou ’46, third from left; and Emil
Oberholzer ’48, standing beside Pines.
4. Werner Wolff, seated at end of table, socializes
with unidentified students, ca. 1943. Professor Wolff taught psychology at Bard
from 1943 until his death in 1957.
5. Art Library, 1952. Three unidentified
women share a sofa in the Art Library as
they read reserved materials. Both the art
and science departments had separate
libraries, which was convenient for the
departments, but difficult to maintain as
fully functioning libraries. Kit Kauders
Ellenbogen ’52 sits at the circulation desk
talking with Bill Lewit ’52. Photograph by
David Brooks ’45.
6. Sherman Yellen ‘53 and an unidentified
student share ice cream, probably near the
Hegeman coffee shop, ca. 1950s.
|7. The Blithewood Swimming Pool, ca.
1957. Standing at the right is Carolee
Schneemann ’59 talking with Shane Riordan,
business manager of the College. Though
most people who swam there remember
the pool with fondness for its romance, a
June 1954 issue of the student newspaper
Communitas reports that the pool had suffered
an infestation of helgramites, crustaceans
described as creatures about three
inches long, with six legs, thorny spines
and two fierce looking mandibles. It was
left to Cal Avery, then head of Building and
Grounds, to clear out the pool. Photograph
by the Mercury Press.
8. Students enjoy the view at Blithewood,
ca. 1952. Photograph by Hans Knopf, PIX
9. The fire of the Zabriskie Coach House
Theater, 1973. Following the fire of the
Zabriskie Coach House Theater on February
25, 1973 nothing was left standing but the
chimney. A letter from then Vice President
Bob Bruce was sent to parents assuring
them that the drama program at Bard was
not in jeopardy, but donations of power
tools, men’s dress wear, clothes dummies,
pre-1940 clothing, fabrics, and ironing
boards would be welcome. Photograph by
Fred Greenspan ’75.
10. Bard College Drama Group, ca. 1959. The Bard College Drama Group returns to
campus after a four-state tour, unloading
stage sets at the Zabriskie Coach House
Theater. This is the theater that is shown on
fire in Photo #9. Identified from left: Robert
Anton ’59; Sonja Frommerova-Fox ’60,
Donald Parker ’61, and Edward Kalish ’60.
Photograph by Fred Sass.
11. Blithewood fountain, 1962. Taken on
Parents’ Day in June 1962, both students
and parents enjoy the fountain at
|12. An annual faculty picnic at Blithewood,
1960s. Louise and Reamer Kline sit at the
center, with, from left, Kay Dewsnap (standing),
Bill Walters, Curtmarie Crane, and
Fred Crane. |
13. Professor William Driver talks with students
on campus, ca. 1981. The seated man
is Chris Kendall ’82. Bill Driver was professor
of drama from 1959 until his death in 2000.