Al-Quds Bard, Palestine
Media Studies Program Faculty and Department HeadFull-time opening for faculty position and Department Head in Media Studies at Al-Quds Bard College for Arts and Sciences, Abu Dis, Palestine. The department of Media Studies is an undergraduate program leading to a B.A. degree.
Now in its tenth year of operation, Al-Quds Bard College for Arts and Sciences (AQB) is an innovative program introducing a liberal arts undergraduate education to the West Bank, with an enrollment of approximately 275 students in 2018-2019. AQB is a rigorous program, culminating in a two-semester independent senior project. Graduates of AQB receive two degrees: a BA from Al-Quds University and a BA from Bard College (New York).
AQB has a full-time opening in Media Studies beginning in the fall 2019 semester, renewable contingent upon successful review and funding. We seek faculty whose teaching methods are student-centered, involving students in active discussion and group tasks to develop their reading, writing, speaking, production, and critical thinking skills in English. The candidate should be able to teach a broad array of media studies courses. Training in film, visual culture, or media studies is required. Full-time faculty teach three courses per semester, supervise a minimum of two senior projects, and are assigned a group of advisees, to whom they provide academic guidance throughout the year. Faculty are expected to engage in community service to contribute to the development of AQB. This includes, but is not limited to, participation in academic committees, moderation boards, faculty development workshops, and faculty meetings.
We seek a faculty person who is truly interdisciplinary—someone who will creatively and intellectually challenge the standard tropes of the media studies mode. AQB seeks candidates with a broad perspective who can build upon the various course offerings now in place and develop a coherent and identifiable agenda for theoretically driven productions.
This position also includes administrative responsibilities as department head. These responsibilities include curriculum development, advising of media studies majors, scheduling of courses, identifying adjunct faculty as necessary, and other academic tasks.
- Expertise in two or more of the following areas: film and media art history, lens-based production, visual cultures, and media theory
- A graduate degree in a relevant field
- Successful teaching experience, as demonstrated by student evaluations, syllabi, and references
- Enthusiasm for the mission of the College to provide student-centered teaching, foster critical thinking, and incorporate writing throughout the curriculum
- Fluent in English
- An understanding of the political and cultural institutions and context in Palestine
- PhD or M.F.A in Film, Visual Cultures, or Media Studies or substantial coursework in a relevant field at the PhD level, this includes practice-based PhDs in the Fine Arts
- Successful experience teaching in a liberal arts context
- Ability to teach a wide range of courses, from e.g. History of Political Art, Images Studies, Philosophy of Art, to Installation Art etc.
- Fluency in Arabic preferred
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and is especially interested in candidates whose record of achievement will contribute to the diversity goals of the institution.