Transportation on Campus
Bard encourages our community to avoid travel by single-occupancy cars.
Bard is a walkable campus—most buildings are within half a mile, or 10 New York City blocks, of Kline Commons. The Village of Red Hook is 3.5 miles to the southeast of campus, making it a quick bike ride through residential streets. The Village of Tivoli is three miles to the north, through a state park.
A free campus shuttle circulates from campus to the villages hourly. The county LOOP bus allows some commuters access to campus twice daily. Bard participates in a car rental service called Zipcar, providing the opportunity for drivers ages 18 years and older to avoid car ownership, and reserve a vehicle for short-term needs. Plan ahead - it takes time to get your membership card in the mail. The offer for students: all students $10.00 off the normal annual fee making it a $25 membership.
Introducing Ride Share–can you share a ride one day a week? Qualify for prime parking in Olin and Main parking lots when you share a ride - be sure to get your RideShare dashboard sign from Security.
VehiclesBard operates a fleet of approximately 100 vehicles for use by Buildings and Grounds, Safety and Security, Transportation, and others.
Car AlternativesYou can be healthier, bulid community and prevent the release of 19 pounds of carbon dioxide for every gallon of gasoline you save by walking, biking, or riding the Bard shuttle.
BikesBike riding has a long tradition at Bard and there are many resources available for those interested in using bicycle transport.
Community and EngagementThroughout the year the Bard Office of Sustainability (BOS) engages our community about issues relevant to transportation and sustainability.
Guidelines and Policies
- $100 Car Registration Fee
- Policy No. F-BERD-003: Vehicle Idling
Actions and Materials
- Walkable Bard Map | Bard is walkable—most campus buildings are within half a mile of Kline Commons.
- Residential Ride to Red Hook and Tivoli | Bike map with safe routes to both Red Hook and Tivoli, away from Route 9G.
- Farms of Red Hook Map | Detailed map and information about the Red Hook farms.
- Bard to Farms Map | Nearby pick-your-own farms and farmer's markets with distances to Bard.
- Hike Tivoli Bays Map | There is a New York State Department of Environmental Conservation bike and walking path to Tivoli with a trailhead in the Performing Arts Center parking lot (lot farthest to left/west). Here is the website with their updated map (look under What You Can Do)
- 511NY Information | Dial 511 any time of the day or night for free transportation services.