Bard envisions the liberal arts institution as the hub of a network, rather than a single, self-contained campus. Numerous institutes for special study are available on and off campus, connecting Bard students to the greater community.
The Center for Civic Engagement at Bard College embodies the fundamental belief that education and civil society are inextricably linked. In an age of information overload, it is more important than ever that citizens be educated and trained to think critically and be actively engaged with issues affecting public life.
Ludlow Hall is the main administrative building on campus, housing the Offices of the President, Vice President for Administration, the Dean of the College, Institute for Writing and Thinking, the Language and Thinking Program, Registrar, Alumni/ae Affairs and Development, and Human Resources. Ludlow Willink Hall was completed in 1869, the gift of sisters Miss Elizabeth Ludlow and Mrs. Cornelia Ann Willink, whose pastor at Trinity Church in New York City suggested the donation. It was the home of Robert Brinkerhoff Fairbairn, the "Great Warden" who first took office in 1882, until his retirement in 1888. Over the years it has been used as a college hall, alumni hall, and as faculty residences. Ludlow Willink Hall retains much of the charm of its ornate and yet warm 19th-century architecture.