Bard College Catalogue

The Bard College Catalogue contains detailed descriptions of the College's undergraduate programs and courses, curriculum, admission and financial aid procedures, student activities and services, history, campus facilities, affiliated institutions including graduate programs, and faculty and administration.

*The download on this page requires Adobe Reader for viewing and printing.

Bard College Catalogue 2013-14

Bard College Catalogue 2013-14

Residence Life

On-Campus Housing

The Bard campus offers more than 50 student residences that embrace a wide range of architectural characteristics, social styles, and sizes. All have Internet access, social rooms, kitchens, and coin-operated laundry rooms. Many boast beautiful views of the Catskill Mountains to the west. Most residence halls are coed, and roughly one-third of the rooms are singles. While residences are within easy walking or ­biking distance of all academic and recreational facilities, the College operates a ­regularly scheduled shuttle bus that makes stops on campus.

Students who live on campus—and most do—are required to take the meal plan, which offers flexible menus (including vegetarian, vegan, and limited kosher and halal selections) and extended meal times in the campus dining commons. The meal plan may also be used in the Manor House and Down the Road Cafés on campus and at the Green Onion, a campus grocery store.

Peer Counselors and Area Coordinators  Another aspect of residence life is the support ­provided by peer counselors and area coordinators, who help develop programs and activities and create an environment conducive to academic engagement and safe community living.

Peer counselors are students who are hired, trained, and supervised by the Office of Residence Life and Housing. Peer counselors live in the residence halls and provide assistance and support to new and returning students. They organize social, educational, and cultural events in order to build cohesive residential communities. Area coordinators are full-time, professional staff members who live in the residence halls. They assist in the management of the residence halls and provide support to residents and peer counselors through counseling and referrals, including on-call crisis management.

Room Assignment for New Students  The Office of Residence Life and Housing assigns rooms and roommates based on the information provided by each new student on the ­housing profile form. Ultimately, all housing assignments are subject to the discretion of the director of housing. All first-year students are required to live on campus and are assigned to doubles or triples. The only first-year students permitted to live off campus meet one of the following criteria: they (a) have a permanent residence within 50 miles of Bard College, (b) are married, (c) are a veteran, or (d) are over 21 years of age.

Room Draw  In early May, students who decide to live on campus after their first year select their rooms by lottery, according to seniority by class year. Students who have not yet moderated into the Upper College are guaranteed on-campus housing; to move off campus they must obtain written permission from their academic adviser and the Dean of Student Affairs Office.

Intersession Housing (summer and winter)  When classes are not in session many residences are occupied by first-year students participating in academic programs or conference groups and workshop participants. Students who wish to live on campus during this time must obtain permission from the Office of Residence Life and Housing by a separate application process and for a nominal fee. The College does not offer storage accommodations to students.

Board   Students living in the residence halls are required to be on the meal plan. The food service caters to vegans, vegetarians, and nonvegetarians.

Students with Families  There is no on-campus housing for married students or students with children.

Graduate Students   Limited graduate housing is available on campus. Students must complete a graduate housing profile form to be considered for on-campus housing.

Off-Campus Housing

Students seeking off-campus housing options can visit the Bard Housing Board at Unmoderated students who wish to live off campus must have an off-campus living request approved. Students requesting to move off campus at midyear are not permitted to break the Facilities Use Agreement. Such students must meet with the director of housing and understand that, if they choose to live off campus, they remain responsible for the financial obligations of on-campus housing. Students receiving financial aid are advised to find out how moving off campus may affect their financial aid package.

Policies and Regulations

The College expects each student to behave in a conscientious and responsible manner with due regard for the welfare and sensibilities of others. These expectations are elaborated more thoroughly in Bard’s Community Standards of Behavior and the Facilities Use Agreement, which are published in the Student Handbook. Consult the Student Handbook for a complete listing of policies and regulations.