International Fund for Animal Welfare Campaigner- Washington, D.C.
Organization: The International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW)
Internship Title: Campaigner
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: —
Position Dates : —
Application Deadline: —
Founded in 1969, IFAW (the International Fund for Animal Welfare) saves individual animals, animal populations and habitats all over the world. With projects in more than 40 countries, IFAW provides hands-on assistance to animals in need, whether it’s dogs and cats, wildlife and livestock, or rescuing animals in the wake of disasters. We also advocate saving populations from cruelty and depletion, such as our campaign to end commercial whaling and seal hunts.
Our Mission: IFAW works to improve the welfare of wild and domestic animals throughout the world by reducing commercial exploitation of animals, protecting wildlife habitats, and assisting animals in distress. IFAW seeks to motivate the public to prevent cruelty to animals and to promote animal welfare and conservation policies that advance the well-being of both animals and people.
The Campaigner works on IFAW’s priority programs and public campaigns, including those related to Animal Rescue, Wildlife Crime & Consumer Awareness, Whales, Seals, Companion Animals, and Elephants for IFAW’s Washington, DC Office. S/he will help plan and implement strategies to deliver the objectives of these campaigns. The Campaigner works with and seeks to influence decision makers, individuals, communities, organizations and institutions to secure major gains for the protection of priority species.
The Campaigner oversees the development of US policy campaigns and supports IFAW’s broader conservation and animal protection work in the United States and internationally. They will work closely with colleagues in other countries and head office to support IFAW’s global work.
- Identify objectives and tactics for agreed campaigns with guidance from the IFAW DC Office Director and head office Programme Directors.
- Prepare and oversee the implementation of agreed campaign plans to meet organizational objectives.
- Contribute to planning, reporting and evaluation of IFAW work programs under the direction of the DC Office Director. This includes overseeing associated expenditure and budgets.
- Collaborate with Governments, agencies, communities and organizations to support wildlife conservation and animal welfare initiatives. Develop strategic relationships with key decision makers, organizations and individuals to support this work.
- Develop media plans with the IFAW HQ Communications team and Rosen Group. Acts as media spokesperson and responds to media coverage of IFAW campaigns when appropriate.
- Develop and assess grant applications as appropriate.
- Commission and manage projects to help achieve campaign aims.
- Represent IFAW at relevant meetings and conferences.
- Supervise contractors and volunteers to support delivery of the work programs.
- Maintain a positive and professional approach when in contact with the media, politicians, representatives from government, community groups and other NGOs.
- Provide information on IFAW US policy campaigns to colleagues in other IFAW departments (e.g. Supporter Services, Communications, Head office departments).
- Develop knowledge of, and keep abreast of relevant conservation and animal welfare issues. Build up knowledge and expertise in the campaign areas, i.e. a working knowledge of relevant international conventions and agreements, scientific knowledge of focus species.
- A strong commitment to wildlife conservation and animal protection issues and to promoting IFAW’s work.
- Knowledge of and experience in animal protection, wildlife conservation and environmental issues.
- Experience with political institutions, non-government organizations and the media is preferable.
- Effective communication and advocacy skills, both written and verbal and an ability to persuade or influence different audiences.
- Ability to think strategically and develop and implement work plans.
- Experience working in partnership and collaborating with other organizations and agencies.
- Superior organizational abilities, demonstrating self-motivation and initiative whilst managing a demanding and complex workload. Must be able to function effectively and accurately on multiple projects in a fast-paced atmosphere while maintaining a calm and easy-going nature and a sense of humor.
- Competent IT and computing skills.
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to Recruitus@ifaw.org .