Sustainability Internship – Various locations (including Ulster County, NY)
Organization: MobilizeGreen and the National Association of Counties (NACo)
Job Title: Sustainability Internship
Location: Greater Chicago region, IL; Shreveport, LA; Harford County, MD; Durham, NC; Los Alamos, NM; Ulster County, NY;Las Vegas, NV; Columbus, OH; Dayton, OH; Portland, OR; Mount Vernon, WA; Seattle, WA; Fairfax, VA
Hours and Compensation: Full-time, Paid: $350 per week, subject to project funding
Position Dates: June 4 – August 17, 2012, including a required 3-day training.
Application Deadline: April 18, 2012
Posted On: April 16, 2012
MobilizeGreen and the National Association of Counties (NACo) seek highly motivated applicants for full-time internship placements in local governments for the Summer of 2012. The dates for this 10-week internship are June – August 2012. You must be available for this time period to apply for this position. Each internship is a 40 hours per week commitment. It pays a weekly stipend and applicants may be eligible for an AmeriCorps Education Award. The work schedule may be flexible upon agreement with supervisor. Internship dates are Travel to and from internship not included.
Interns will be working on green purchasing – procurement that considers the social and environmental aspects of products and services, including recyclability, energy-efficiency, durability, level of toxicity. Government agencies find that green purchasing programs are a way to save taxpayer money, reduce negative impacts on the environment, and find better performing products to provide vital services to communities.
- NACo Green Purchasing Interns will work within a local government agency to help build a robust green purchasing program within the agency.
- More specifically, the candidate will work with county purchasing staff to:
- Develop and implement programs to teach county staff how to green their purchasing practices
- Coordinate and organize county sustainability teams
- Perform research and test new green products
- Research green product performance measures
- Develop tools for vendors reporting.
- The position is ideal for current graduate students. Incoming 3rd and 4th year undergraduate students will also be considered.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- good political judgment
- relevant educational background, such as sustainability, business, government, public policy, or public administration studies
- previous professional workplace experience, including use of Microsoft Office software
- Internships are available in local government agencies within the following regions: Greater Chicago region, IL; Shreveport, LA; Harford County, MD; Durham, NC; Los Alamos, NM; Ulster County, NY; Las Vegas, NV; Columbus, OH; Dayton, OH; Portland, OR; Mount Vernon, WA; Seattle, WA; Fairfax, VA.
How to Apply
NO CALLS TO NACo or local governments. Interested individuals should apply http:mobilizegreen.applicantpro.com/jobs/