Policy Associate- New York, New York
Organization: New York Academy of Medicine
Job Title: Policy Associate
Location: New York, New York
Hours and Compensation: This is a full-time (35hrs/week) temporary (6-month) position. Paid.
Application Deadline: Now accepting applications.
Posted on: April 19, 2012
The New York Academy of Medicine advances the health of people in cities. An independent organization since 1847, NYAM addresses the health challenges facing the world’s urban populations through interdisciplinary approaches to policy leadership, education, community engagement and innovative research.
Drawing on the expertise of diverse partners worldwide and more than 2,000 elected Fellows from across the professions, our current priorities are
- To create environments in cities that support healthy aging
- To strengthen systems that prevent disease and promote the public’s health
- To implement interventions that eliminate health disparities
NYAM’s Division of Health Policy (DHP) is seeking a highly motivated individual to lead aspects of its Age-friendly New York City initiative during a 6-month staff leave of absence. The Age-friendly New York City initiative is a public/private partnership between NYAM, the New York City Council, and Mayor’s office. It aims to develop and implement recommendations for making New York more age-friendly for its growing elder population. This is a high-profile and complex initiative, requiring a self-starting professional with excellent communication skills, creative problem-solving capacity, ability to master new material quickly, a polished professional demeanor, and ability to track to details in light of overall goals.
• Assisting in providing staff support for a high-level Commission and taking chief responsibility for the Commission’s work groups on Business and Technology. This will entail developing agendas and materials, preparing briefs and environmental scans, identifying opportunities for value-added initiatives, facilitating discussion during meetings as needed, developing meeting minutes, and implementing and tracking meeting follow-up.
• Collaborating with cross-functional team to inter-relate work group activities with global project themes.
• Acting as a liaison with City, non-profit, and private partners, and regularly reporting back to NYAM staff.
• Participating in DHP meetings and ongoing events as needed.
Candidates must be able to work both independently and as a part of team. Applicants must have previous committee-staffing experience; exceptional communication and writing skills; good critical and analytic thinking abilities; and demonstrated public policy experience. Background in aging issues, familiarity with New York City government and civil society, and experience in policy analysis preferred. Ability to speak Spanish a plus.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “AFC Policy Associate” in the email subject heading
For more information, visit our website: www.nyam.org.