Organization: Westchester Green Business Challenge (WGBC)
Job Title: Summer Intern
Location: White Plains, NY
Hours and Compensation: unpaid, 10-20 hrs/wk for a minimum of 3 months
Benefits: academic credit can be awarded
Position Dates: beginning spring/summer 2012
Application Deadline: reviewed on a rolling basis
Posted on: April 27
Launched in December 2009, the Westchester Green Business Challenge (WGBC) is a joint program of Westchester County Government and the Business Council of Westchester. The mission is to educate and encourage Westchester County businesses to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) while improving operational performance and saving money. Modelled after the successful Chicago Green Office Challenge developed by ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability, the program was adapted to reflect the unique business profile of Westchester County while addressing the universal issues of energy and water conservation, waste reduction, sustainable land use and transportation (the five areas of focus in the Westchester County Action Plan for Climate Change & Sustainable Development).
The WGBC continues to grow as companies of all sizes in Westchester County begin to address climate change and sustainability issues. As an intern, you will receive training on resources currently provided through the WGBC and be equipped to contribute to the expansion of our program. You will gain unique insight into a wide range of Westchester-based businesses who have committed to reducing their environmental impact.
Academic credit for this internship can be arranged through department approval at your college or university.
This internship will begin in spring/summer 2012; the duration and number of hours per week is flexible based on availability and project requirements, but estimated at 10-20 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months.
Location: The internship is home-based, with on-site meetings in downtown White Plains scheduled on an as-needed basis. The intern will also attend other local events that are relevant to the WGBC and its mission. Access to a car is therefore desired, but not required to apply.
• Program outreach at local business events
• Provide support to businesses participating in the WGBC as needed
• Respond to inquiries from prospective participants in the program.
• Help maintain and analyze participant data.
• Assess program resource needs based upon the data received through the WGBC website.
• Assist in creating educational events and trainings for participants.
• Provide on-going program website maintenance and support.
The attributes we look for in our interns:
• Strong work ethic and initiative
• Interest in environmental sustainability & economic development
• Ability to work well in a team environment
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Embraces experiences as learning opportunities
• Skilled in Microsoft Office, especially Excel & PowerPoint
• Experience with social media platforms and website maintenance
Ideal candidates will also meet the following requirements:
• Active involvement in activities related to environmental sustainability
• Good academic standing
How to Apply: