Green Business Specialist – Boston, MA
Organization: Center for EcoTechnology
Job Title: MassDEP Green Business Specialist
Location: Boston, MA
Hours and Compensation: Full time – one year; competitive salary
Position Dates: Open immediately
Posted On: May 23, 2012
Since 1976, the Center for Ecological Technology (CET), a non-profit (501c3) organization, engages in work that demonstrates and promotes practical, affordable solutions to the environmental challenges encountered in our daily activities. CET’s mission is “to research, develop, demonstrate and promote those technologies which have the least disruptive impact on the natural ecology of the Earth.” From offices in Pittsfield, Northampton and Springfield, CET finds sustainable solutions to complex issues in order to benefit our environment, health, economy, and community.
The Center for EcoTechnology works with the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) on the RecyclingWorks in Massachusetts program. This one year, full-time position will work closely with the Branch Chief of Waste Planning and Commercial Waste Reduction in the MassDEP office in Boston and report to the Green Business Manager within the Green Business department at CET.
The Center for EcoTechnology offers competitive pay rates and a comprehensive health plan which pays approximately 60% of the individual’s health insurance costs. New employees are eligible for health, dental and disability insurance after 30 days of employment. New employees accrue 10 days of paid vacation leave per year, 9 sick days and we offer 12 paid holidays. This position will be a full-time hourly position with benefits based in the Mass DEP office in Boston.
Organics Diversion Focus:
- Conduct survey and needs assessment for food waste diversion from food manufacturers and processors.
- Assist with program analysis, reporting, and measurement for composting and recycling facilities.
- Provide outreach, education and technical assistance in the areas of food waste diversion.
- Administer assistance program for state-owned facility food waste diversion.
- Develop food waste diversion case studies for target sectors.
Waste Ban Analysis and Outreach:
- Analyze the waste ban compliance professional quarterly data
- Coordinate with Green Business Manager and MassDEP on waste ban compliance and outreach
- Coordinate stakeholder discussions on the increased diversion of carpet, asphalt, and other construction materials
- Analyze data from facilities handling construction and demolition materials and other recyclables
General Business Assistance:
- Work with businesses in the field to implement waste diversion from commercial generators and foster infrastructure development for the collection, hauling, and processing of recyclable and compostable materials.
- Communicate a working understanding of separation and collection mechanisms for commercial generators of various recyclable materials.
- Respond to resource management questions via phone and email about environmentally preferable purchasing, disposal, composting and recycling.
- Respond to businesses, institutions and colleges and universities in the immediate Boston area interested in reducing waste through Recycling Works.
- College degree and 3 years of related experience in the areas of solid waste, recycling, and composting
- Valid driver’s license with reliable transportation
- Professional appearance and professional communication style in business setting
- Excellent communication skills: public speaking and demonstrated concise and professional writing skills
- Strong project management skills including the ability to work independently and in an organized way, ability to track and report results and accomplish tasks within timelines
- Experience speaking to business owners, facility managers and all levels of staff in a wide range of business types.
- Ability to convey information in a straight forward unbiased way and adept at helping implement incremental change.
- Knowledge and experience researching information (online, print and telephone)
- Work-style – flexible, self-directed, professional, hard-work ethic, patient, works well independently, with others, or as team leader
- Attention to detail, good problem solving skills and observational skills
- Proficient in MS Office suite, and comfortable with using Excel for data tracking and analysis
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume via email to
Penny Collins, HR/Payroll Specialist
112 Elm Street, Pittsfield, MA 01201