Intern Blogger – Washington DC
Job Title: Intern Blogger
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: Full-time (40hrs/wk); $12/hr
Position Dates: Three-month commitment, with the option to extend for the right candidate
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Posted On: May 24, 2012
About WRI: The World Resources Institute (http:www.wri.org/wri//) is an environmental research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives.
EMBARQ is looking for a full-time intern blogger(40 hours/week) to write for TheCityFix.com, an online resource for sustainable transport news, advocacy and best practice solutions from around the world. Available to start as early as April 30, the position is located in EMBARQ’s Washington, D.C. office and pays $12 per hour, plus the opportunity to share your writing and research with sustainable transport advocates and experts from around the world. The position is a three-month commitment, with the option to extend for the right candidate. Position open until filled.
- Research, write and edit blog posts for TheCityFix.com
- Recruit volunteer writers
- Attend and cover live events, such as city council meetings, neighborhood association meetings, lectures, panel discussions, conferences, etc.
- Regularly interview experts in sustainable transport and urban planning
- Help expand traditional and social media outreach
- Help implement search engine optimization and online visibility strategy
- Write content for EMBARQ’s website, monthly newsletter and press releases, as needed
- Assist EMBARQ’s Information and Innovation (I+I) team with day-to-day administrative or research tasks
- Excellent writing skills; produces clean copy quickly and under tight deadlines
- Professional experience in blogging, journalism and online communications
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism, environmental studies, urban planning, transport engineering or other related field
- Knowledge of Associated Press (AP) Stylebook guidelines for newswriting
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Enthusiasm for online social networking and community outreach
- Strong social media presence, especially on Twitter and Facebook
- Ability to learn new software and systems quickly
- Attention to detail and highly organized
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of transportation, urban planning or environmental sustainability
- Proficient with WordPress and basic HTML
- Experience working with international or multi-cultural teams
- Native English speaker; fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Turkish, a plus
- Experience working abroad, a plus
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online in order to be formally considered.