MassLIFT-AmeriCorps conservation & outreach positions – Various towns in MA
Organization: Massachusetts Land Initiative for Tomorrow (MassLIFT) AmeriCorps program
Job Title: AmeriCorps member – MassLIFT conservation & outreach position
Location: Various towns in MA
Hours and Compensation: Full time; living allowances, health insurance, and the potential to earn education awards
Position Dates: September 11, 2012 to August 23, 2013
Application Deadline: July 6, 2012
Posted On: June 22, 2012
The Massachusetts Land Initiative for Tomorrow (MassLIFT) AmeriCorps program is seeking land conservation enthusiasts to apply for our 2012 service positions. This program, initiated and managed by Mount Grace Land Conservation Trust, is a collaborative effort of regional conservation groups to meet critical community needs for land and watershed protection, stewardship of protected lands, conservation outreach and education, and service learning that engages young people in conservation.
Twenty AmeriCorps members serve MassLIFT each year. Our members serve in one of four positions: land steward, regional conservationist, service learning coordinator, or community outreach coordinator. These full-time positions come with living allowances, health insurance, and the potential to earn education awards. The 2012 program runs from September 11, 2012 to August 23, 2013.
The following regional land trusts and conservation organizations will be hosting MassLIFT-AmeriCorps members in our 2012 program: Buzzards Bay Coalition, East Quabbin Land Trust, Essex County Greenbelt Association, Franklin Land Trust, Groundwork Lawrence, Hilltown Land Trust, Kestrel Land Trust, Mount Grace Land Conservation Trust, Nashua River Watershed Association, Sudbury Valley Trustees, and Wildlands Trust. Appalachian Mountain Club-Berkshires and Greenagers will share the assistance of a Service Learning Coordinator; and the Connecticut River Watershed Council and Millers River Watershed Council will share the services of a Community Outreach Coordinator.
Member Application specifics, position descriptions, and information about MassLIFT-AmeriCorps and the organizations hosting 2012 members can be found on the Mount Grace Land Conservation Trust website: www.mountgrace.org/masslift-americorps. The application deadline is July 6, 2012. Additional applications will be accepted and reviewed on an as needed basis
- 2012 MassLIFT members will receive a living allowance of $12,400 over the
11.5-month term of service.
- AmeriCorps provides health insurance coverage.
- Childcare assistance may be provided in cases of financial need.
- Upon successful completion of their year of service, AmeriCorps members will receive a $5,550 education award which can be used for future education or to pay off existing school loans.
- Individuals in approved AmeriCorps positions are eligible for forbearance of most federally-guaranteed student loans.
- MassLIFT members gain skills in land conservation, attend a statewide conference, and participate in team trainings and other professional development opportunities.
- AmeriCorps members experience the personal rewards of national service
and community engagement.
- MassLIFT members are responsible for their own housing and must have
access to reliable transportation.
Are you willing to devote a year of service to increasing the pace of land conservation in Massachusetts, engaging community volunteers in conservation-minded service, and strengthening the stewardship of watersheds and protected lands? If so, consider joining MassLIFT-AmeriCorps!
Applicants must also meet the following AmeriCorps requirements:
- a US citizen, US national, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the U.S.
- at least 18-years-of-age
- a minimum of a high school diploma or GED
- no more than three previous terms as an AmeriCorps member
- pass a criminal history background check
- If working primarily with vulnerable populations such as youth and the elderly also pass an FBI check. (This requirement applies to MassLIFT Service Learning Coordinators.)
Each of our four service positions has a different set of objectives and its own required and desired qualifications. Applicants for these positions must also meet AmeriCorps Eligibility Requirements. See qualifications for each of the four service positions here: http://www.mountgrace.org/join-masslift
The service activities emphasized for each position vary between host sites. AmeriCorps requirements and position descriptions specific to each MassLIFT partner are posted below. All MassLIFT positions are full-time, with members serving for 1,700 hours and 11.5 months.
How to Apply
1) Review the AmeriCorps Eligibility Requirements and the Service Position Descriptions for each of the 2012 MassLIFT Partners.
2) Download and complete the MassLIFT member application form (attached below).
3) Email your completed form with a resume and 1 – 2 page cover letter to MassLIFTapp(at)mountgrace.org. Do not send applications directly to a host site.
Submit your application by noon on July 6, 2012. Early submissions are highly encouraged. Additional applications will be accepted and reviewed on an as needed basis.
Interviews for candidates who applied in June have already begun. Position offers and acceptances will begin July 9, 2012.
Applicants may get interviews and position offers from more than one site. Please be prepared to accept positions within 7 days of receiving an offer. The second round of offers will begin July 16, 2012. Interviews and offers will continue until all positions are filled. We aim to fill all 20 service positions by no later than August 10, 2012.
Questions? Call Dee Robbins, MassLIFT Program Manager, 978-833-4192.