Coastal Cleanup Day Coordinator – Santa Monica, CA
Organization: Heal the Bay
Job Title: Coastal Cleanup Day Coordinator
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Hours and Compensation: Full time, temporary, contract, pay will be a flat rate of $9,600 paid in installments over 8 pay periods
Position Dates: It will begin on July 16, 2012 through November 15, 2012. Attendance at some weekend and evening events will be necessary.
Posted On: June 28th, 2012
Heal the Bay is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to making Southern California coastal waters, including the Santa Monica Bay, safe, healthy and clean for people and marine life. We achieve our goals through a variety of research, education, public outreach, advocacy and policy-oriented programs. Used by almost everyone in Southern California, our beaches and coastal waters are one of the region’s most important natural resources.
Heal the Bay is looking for a well organized and very responsible individual capable of working in a fast-paced environment to recruit and coordinate volunteers for the 27th Annual California Coastal Cleanup Day, to be held on Saturday, September 15th, 2012. Every year Heal the Bay organizes thousands of volunteers to come out and clean more than sixty beach and inland sites. The Coastal Cleanup Day Coordinator will be working closely with the Coastal Cleanup Day Manager and programs, communications and development departments to coordinate a successful event.
- Work with the Coastal Cleanup Day Manager and staff to plan and promote Coastal Cleanup Day.
- Guide and work with the Coastal Cleanup Day Interns to carry out Coastal Cleanup Day.
- Recruit schools, businesses and community groups to participate.
- Plan educational activities for children.
- Coordinate and train speakers, volunteers, and staff to assist on the day of the event.
- Oversee volunteers and staff on Coastal Cleanup Day to ensure that the event runs safely and smoothly.
- Make presentations to community leaders and groups about Coastal Cleanup Day and ocean pollution.
- Manage the Coastal Cleanup Day volunteer and contact database.
- Create brochures, flyers, and other print materials in Publisher and Quark.
- Solicit support of Latino print, radio and television coverage of the event for greater inland exposure.
- Handle logistical concerns by phone, in person, or email.
- Public speaking is required.
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Well organized and careful attention to detail.
- Ability to lead and coordinate large groups of volunteers.
- Ability to work well both independently and as a team.
- Ability to network within community groups and with government offices.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications, particularly in Excel, Word, and Publisher.
- California driver’s license required; a car for driving to speeches and meetings is a plus.
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish is preferred.
- Passion for the environment is a plus.
How to Apply