Poverty Reduction and Sustainability Intern – Chochabamba, Bolivia
Organization: Sustainable Bolivia
Job Title: “Education the Streets” Intern/Volunteer
Location: Chochabamba, Bolivia
Hours and Compensation: Unpaid
Position Dates: Start ASAP
Posted On: June 28th, 2012
Educating the Streets – Building Society is a social innovation project developed in partnership with Prolavie (Canada). It facilitates a work-study balance for working children, leading to an increase in their capacity and improved opportunities; while fostering engagement of the broader community across multiple sectors. We believe the greatest engine for change and social capital are Youth; and therefore a primary element of this project is the participation of youth, sharing knowledge and life experiences, as they develop long lasting relationships. Young international volunteers are welcome to participate in any of our project activities.
1. Technical Training + Marketable Activities
Working children receive training in various domains (entrepreneurial and technical), helpful to access the labor market and fulfill their interests, in partnership with private sector organizations, and as part of a common shared value creation strategy. These capabilities are applied in building and selling marketable products or services. Volunteers may help with the coordination and execution of such activities, according to the current needs and the volunteer’s interest. In addition, volunteers may conduct training workshops related to their own professional strengths, relevant to current working activities of children and if possible on skills for establishing social enterprises.
2. Education Support
Includes both support on school subjects where the children have difficulties and further information and education sessions on subjects related to the daily challenges the children are faced with.
Volunteers may become mentors of the children and help them with homework or school subjects and and may also organize and conduct specific education sessions, according to current necessities and own interests.
3. Performing Arts: Personal and Social Skills Development
We have developed a special curriculum with our theater partner Hecho a Mano called Confident, Strong and Free, and composed of several elements: body expression, vocal expression, acting, musical expression, mise en scene and creative collective techniques.
In addition to the above, we offer different volunteer positions for more general activities such as:
- Marketing & Awareness Campaigns
- Language lessons to children and local volunteers
- Administrative tasks
In exchange for your valuable participation, we offer:
- Again, the opportunity to participate in a unique life experience and learn from the amazing Bolivian working children.
- Possibility to participate in paid tutoring and guest speaking sessions at our University partner Univalle.
- Language exchange program with local university volunteers
- Cultural and tourist information (eventually guided visits with the children).
- Quechua and Aymara courses at advantageous prices
- Access to international network
- Participation certificate
- Did we mention the opportunity to participate in a unique life experience and learn from the amazing Bolivian working children?
- A fascinating time, working with wonderful people in a wonderful country, with wonderful food and a fun,
- Different activities require different levels of Spanish and different commitment requirements (for beginners and short-time volunteers we offer the more general activities mentioned above)
- You need to be interested in working with working children and passionate about contributing to reducing poverty issues
- You need to be flexible, patient, motivated, tolerant and enthusiastic
- Minimum commitment period of one month
How to Apply