Ecology/Environmental Policy Intern – Washington, DC
Organization: The Heinrich Böll Foundation of North America
Job Title: Ecology/Environmental Policy Intern
Location: Washington, DC
Hours and Compensation: Full time, paid, monthly stipend of $400
Position Dates: January 2nd, 2013 – March 29th, 2013
Application Deadline: August 22nd, 2012
Posted On: July 2nd, 2012
We are a non-profit organization striving to promote democracy, civil society, human rights, international understanding and a healthy environment internationally. We are affiliated with the German Green Party. Headquartered in Berlin, Germany, we have 29 offices worldwide. Our Washington, DC office was created in 1998 to support our international efforts. For more information, please refer to our website www.us.boell.org.
The Heinrich Böll Foundation North America welcomes student applications for an internship in the field ecology/ environmental policy. We are currently looking for a highly motivated individual with a strong interest in “green” policy issues and a background in one or more of the following issues: ecology/ environmental policy.
Internships Opportunities The Heinrich Böll Foundation offers internship opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students focusing on energy and environmental policies, international relations, development and related areas. An intern’s duties generally consist of administrative work, program coordination, research, editing and writing.
The intern will be considered to be a full member of the Heinrich Böll Foundation team. Interns are encouraged to take advantage of both internal events and a wide variety of external political events and policy meetings in Washington, DC organized by Think Tanks, NGOs and government entities.
- working together with one of our program officers
- writing of a policy paper and articles which will be published on our website
- researching current policy issues of relevance to the ongoing work of the Washington Office
- collecting background information for events, visitor programs, conferences and workshops
- monitoring and summarizing current developments in research areas relevant to the office’s work
- editing and proof reading of publications
- attending policy briefings, lectures and conferences
Administrative duties and responsibilities
- providing logistical support for the conceptualization, preparation and management of visitor programs, events, conferences and workshops
- answering telephones and responding to e-mail requests
- responding to information inquiries – updating and managing of the office database
- event documentation and evaluation
- at least 2 years of college/university
- proven excellent research, writing and editing skills
- strong organizational and analytical skills with attention to detail
- creative, pro-active, self-directed and responsible
- a genuine interest in the values and mission of the Heinrich Boell Foundation
- commitment to a full-time internship (40 hours/week) for at least 3 months
- proficiency of German a plus
- experience with MS Office 2007
How to Apply
We are currently accepting applications for the January 2013 internship (ecology/ environmental policy). If you are interested in applying, please send your resume along with a cover letter describing your motivation for interning with us. Send your application to the attention of Milena Jurca either by e-mail at email@example.com (preferred method) or by fax at 202-462-5230 or by regular mail to
Heinrich Boell Foundation
1432 K Street NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20005
The deadline for applications is August 22nd, 2012 COB. If you do not receive confirmation email within 2 business days of sending your application, please resubmit your cover letter and resume via email or regular mail.
Anna Milena Jurca
Assistant to the Executive Director