Coalition Program Coordinator – Washington, DC
Organization: The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS)
Job Title: Coalition Program Coordinator
Location: Washington, DC
Hours and Compensation: This is a 20-hour per week position based in UCS’s Washington, DC, office and funded by a three-year grant with a possibility of renewal. The salary for this half-time position is in the low $20,000s (pro-rated based on a full-time salary in the low $40,000s) for candidates who meet all position requirements. This position is eligible for UCS’s excellent benefits package, including health and dental insurance and generous holiday and vacation time.
Position Dates: Start ASAP
Application Deadline: July 20th, 2012
Posted On: July 10th, 2012
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is the leading science-based nonprofit working for a healthy environment and a safer world. UCS combines independent scientific research and citizen action to develop innovative, practical solutions and to secure responsible changes in government policy, corporate practices, and consumer choices. What began as a collaboration between students and faculty members at MIT in 1969 is now an alliance of more than 300,000 citizens and scientists that includes people from all walks of life: parents and businesspeople, biologists and physicists, teachers and students. UCS strives for a future that is free from the threats of global warming and nuclear war and a planet that supports a rich diversity of life. Our specific focus areas include global warming, renewable energy, advanced vehicle technology, nuclear power safety, nuclear weapons and related security issues, preserving the integrity of science, and promoting sustainable agriculture and food systems.
Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Coalition Program Coordinator provides a broad range of high-level and proactive support to UCS-led “Equity First” coalition aimed at bringing a more diverse set of constituencies to food and farm policy debates. In particular, the Coalition Coordinator manages the meetings, communication, and other activities of the “Equity First” coalition. The Coalition Coordinator also on occasion provides select administrative, outreach, research, lobbying, and problem-solving support to the UCS Food and Environment team. This is a half-time position.
- Develop strategies and plans collaborative activities with UCS staff and members of the five-organization Equity First coalition; organize and schedules coalition calls and meetings; proactively manage logistics for in-person coalition meetings and events; provide timely, well-organized background information and materials; record meeting minutes; assist in facilitating discussions and driving decision-making; and distribute follow-up materials; lead tracking of coalition projects and activities to ensure that progress is made on collective workplans.
- Serve as primary point of contact for the coalition, responding to requests for information and assistance from coalition members and allies; build and maintain lists of contacts and maintain regular communications with those constituencies.
- Assist UCS staff in preparing progress reports and evaluations for the Equity First project funder.
- Coordinate Washington, DC, lobby days and other Hill efforts (including logistical arrangements, scheduling, and attending meetings with decision-makers) and in-district/state outreach activities; work with the DC-based representatives of all coalition members to craft effective advocacy approaches.
- Work with UCS web staff to build and maintain coalition website; lead efforts to build support for coalition goals through the use of social media; and stay abreast of new opportunities and strategies for effective dissemination of messages.
- As appropriate, provide UCS staff with a variety of administrative, outreach, research, lobbying, and problem-solving support; support broad organizational goals, including cultural competency; draft contributions to UCS newsletters and other publications; and perform other related functions as directed.
A minimum of three to five years of relevant experience, preferably in a non-profit environment, is required. Position requires a demonstrated interest in and passion for work that serves the public interest and mission of UCS and the Equity First coalition—in particular, issues of diversity and racial equity. Considerable self-motivation, cultural competency, attention to detail, and knowledge of office and administrative support procedures, including business English, word processing, spreadsheet and database software are needed. Strong organizational abilities, good written and oral communication skills, and excellent interpersonal skills—including the ability to interact professionally and sensitively with individuals with a wide range of experiences, skills, backgrounds and responsibilities—are a must. Experience working in non-profit environment and knowledge of food and agricultural issues are highly desirable but not required. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required. At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, salary requirements, how you learned about the position and resume via email to email@example.com and include “Coalition Program Coordinator” in the subject line. Email materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please. Deadline: July 20 or until filled.