Communications Intern – Washington, DC
Organization: Environmental and Energy Study Institute (EESI)
Job Title: Communications Intern
Location: Washington, DC
Hours and Compensation: Unpaid, transportation benefits are offered. This internship requires a commitment of 25-40 hours per week for 10-12 weeks (1 semester), with extensions possible. Citizens of any nation may apply, but EESI does not sponsor visas. We offer a friendly, informal and progressive work environment.
Position Dates: Start ASAP
Application Deadline: August 1st, 2012
Posted On: July 10ths, 2012
The Environmental and Energy Study Institute (EESI) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that advances innovative policy solutions that set us on a cleaner, more secure and sustainable energy path.
- Research/write/edit articles and web content on a broad range of energy, environment, and policy issues
- Assist with the outreach for and execution of Congressional briefings and events
- Data entry and other administrative duties
- Update website and social media profiles
- Explore creative ways to engage and expand EESI’s network
- Research appropriate media outlets
- Occasionally attend Congressional hearings or other events and brief staff on material covered
- Other responsibilities as required, based on intern interest areas and the organization’s needs
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree (or degree in progress) in communications, journalism, political science, environmental studies, or a related field. Please note that this a communications position and so applicants with media experience or education will be privileged. EESI also offers policy-focused internships
- Interest in environmental and energy issues, with particular enthusiasm for the communication of pertinent information to policymakers and other interested parties
- Strong writing and research skills
- Self-starter, flexible and able to manage multiple tasks
- Open to feedback, with strong desire to develop professional skills
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in a team or independently as needed
- Ability to represent EESI professionally at events on Capitol Hill
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Experience with Photoshop, database and web software, video editing and/or online social media a plus
How to Apply
To apply please submit the following to Amaury Laporte at alaporte [at] eesi.org:
- Cover letter explaining your interests, what you hope to gain, and what you can contribute.
Please specify when you would be available for the internship and how many hours you could work per week.
- Writing sample in a journalistic style, 2 pages maximum.
Please avoid submitting an academic paper: we are seeking interns with an engaging, reader-friendly style to help get EESI’s message across.
- List of references