Youth Empowerment Intern – Pittsburgh, PA
Organization: Three Rivers Community Foundation (TRCF)
Job Title: Youth Empowerment Intern
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Hours and Compensation: 10 hours of work per week, Unpaid
Position Dates: September 1st, 2012 – January 1st, 2013
Application Deadline: August 10th, 2012
Posted On: July 11th, 2012
Three Rivers Community Foundation (TRCF) promotes Change, not charity™, by funding and encouraging activism among community-based organizations in underserved areas ofSouthwestern Pennsylvania. We support groups challenging attitudes, policies, or institutions as they work to promote social, economic, or racial justice.
The Foundation’s action areas include: Disability Rights; Economic Justice; the Environment; Racial Justice; Women, Youth, and Families; and Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues. In addition to making grants in these action areas, TRCF funds a Media Justice Initiative, as well as making small Special Opportunity Grants of up to $500 throughout the year for unanticipated opportunities that may arise, for which organizations did not budget.
The Youth Empowerment Internship supports the Foundation’s youth initiatives for social change and justice. These initiatives re intended to educate young people in the issues of social injustice and the need for change, and to involve as many of them as possible in the processes of grant making, organizing for change, and fundraising for social change.
The Youth Empowerment Intern will work with TRCF’s Internship Fellow(s) and the Executive Director to develop, promote, implement, maintain, and evaluate the youth component of TRCF’s programming and activities. Responsibilities include:
- Recruiting participants in the T4C and YAP programs.
- Training the young participants.
- Developing materials for both programs
- Liaising with the appropriate officials in the schools to ensure program success.
- Scheduling the events and activities of the programs
– Maintaining service and activities data on both programs.
- Scheduling and attending the meetings and events of both programs
– Working with the Public Relations and Marketing Intern and the Website Intern to publicize the programs and to develop and update the TRCF website’s Youth Making Change web page.
- Evaluating the programs (ongoing, formative evaluation, and end-of-year evaluation)
– Make recommendations for changes and improvements to the program.
How to Apply
To inquire about or apply for this internship, please send a current resume and appropriate cover letter the Intern Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Internships typically function by seasons: spring, summer, and fall. Recruitment starts the previous season. Start and end dates are negotiable.