Senior Manager of Science Policy Communications – Washington, DC
Organization: American Association for Cancer Research
Job Title: Senior Manager of Science Policy Communications
Location: Washington, DC
Hours and Compensation: Full time, Commensurate
Position Dates: Start ASAP
Application Deadline: Open until Filled, so send in ASAP
Posted On: July 23, 2012
Description and Responsibilities:
- Works collaboratively with D.C. and Philadelphia staff to identify opportunities to promote the AACR’s policy related activities and ensure consistent messaging
- Keeps abreast of current events to assist in identify opportunities to develop policy-related press releases, op-eds, action alerts, and other collateral materials.
- Plans, writes and produces a monthly policy e-newsletter, (the Cancer Policy Monitor), frequent action alerts, and other internet mailings, as needed.
- Write and/or edit letters, fact sheets, and public statements.
- Develops messaging and communications strategies to enhance AACR member awareness, specifically forcing on legislation and policy affecting cancer research and biomedical science
- Develops messaging and communications strategies to enhance public and policymaker awareness and understanding of the value of cancer research and biomedical science.
- In coordination with the AACR Communications office in Philadelphia, develop media contacts in D.C. and secure coverage for AACR.
- Develops and maintains relevant website content
- Oversees the design, production, and distribution of branded items and marketing materials, such as an annual report of science policy and government affairs activities undertaken by the AACR D.C. Office.
- Coordinates an initiative, including facilitating webinars, to get AACR members more active in advocacy-related activities.
- Drafts and/or edits press releases, op-eds, video scripts, etc., and coordinates traditional and social media strategies with Philadelphia communications team
- Manages Capwiz database
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Masters Degree preferred
- Background in biomedical or science-related field and/or public policy preferred
- Minimum of 5 years relevant professional work experience required in public policy, communications, marketing, public relations, or similar field.
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to synthesize complex information and present in clear, concise, compelling manner
- Ability to read, research and interpret legislative materials
- Ability to read and understand scientific literature
- Detail-orientated and highly-organized with creative instincts
- Ability to interact collaboratively with colleagues at all levels
- Strong computer and web literacy, including experience with new media technologies and online social marketing
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and knowledge of PowerPoint
- Familiarity with Capwiz, interenet content management systems, and email marketing software a plus
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
How to Apply