Maryland State Director – Takoma Park, MD
Organization: Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN)
Job Title: Maryland State Director
Location: Takoma Park, MD
Hours and Compensation: Full time, Commensurate with experience, Excellent benefits, including 4 weeks paid vacation, health care and dental coverage.
Position Dates: Start ASAP
Application Deadline: Admission on rolling basis, so start ASAP
Posted On: July 25th, 2012
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the first grassroots, nonprofit organization dedicated exclusively to fighting global warming in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. Our mission is to build and mobilize a powerful grassroots movement and use our proximity to the nation’s capital to push for state, national and international policies that will put us on a path to climate stability.
· We like to win. We take on the region’s biggest polluters and push for ambitious, carbon-reducing policies and programs.
· We are a creative, energetic team that challenges notions of what’s “politically possible.”
· We constantly strive to do our best, learn from our successes and failures and win concrete victories. We ask ourselves if we’re doing enough and if we’ve thought of everything.
· We strive to ensure that the CCAN work environment is supportive, challenging, fun and exciting.
As record-high temperatures and severe thunderstorms dominate the summer of 2012, you may be asking yourself how you can join the fight to curb global warming. The answer: Work with CCAN! We’ve been winning state-level, precedent-setting victories for the climate for a decade and we’re looking for a strong campaigner to help us keep up that winning tradition.
· Campaign Management: Plan and work with our Maryland team to implement strategic campaigns throughout Maryland – issues ranging from stopping fracking in western Maryland to advocating for wind power and stronger clean energy incentives. Manage the day-to-day operations of our work in Maryland, including staff management, planning, reporting and ensuring efficient and effective teamwork.
· Advocacy: Oversee our staff that lobby in Annapolis and do some lobbying yourself. Research and write policies that will continue to keep Maryland in the forefront of state-based solutions to climate change.
· Coalition-building: Play an active role in our current coalitions and build new coalitions when necessary.
· You like to win and understand what it takes to run strategic campaigns. You have 8+ years of experience running campaigns – preferably issue-based, but electoral campaign managers are also encouraged to apply. You have experience working legislation at the national or state level and you want to work for a group that prioritizes grassroots organizing because you recognize its importance in winning short- and long-term victories.
· You are an experienced staff manager who can inspire others as well as manage the day-to-day operations of a seasoned policy and field team. You’re an excellent time manager who is self-directed and deadline-oriented.
· You are just as happy being a campaign spokesperson as you are to stay behind the scenes and push others to the forefront of campaign public activities.
· You are an excellent communicator with strong writing and public speaking skills. You are good at managing group dynamics and thrive in settings where you’re working closely with your staff and coalition partners. You’re both persuasive and inclusive.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to Nathan at email@example.com . We’ll review applications on a rolling basis. We look forward to hearing from you.