Research Manager – New York, NY
Organization: Global Impact Investing Network
Job Title: Research Manager
Location: New York, NY
Hours and Compensation: Full-time role in a flexible, entrepreneurial culture. Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience.
Position Dates: Start ASAP
Application Deadline: August 15th, 2012
Posted On: July 25th, 2012
The Global Impact Investing Network is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to increasing the scale and effectiveness of impact investing. Impact investments are investments made into companies, organizations, and funds with the intention to generate measurable social and environmental impact alongside a financial return. They can be made in both emerging and developed markets, and target a range of returns from below market to market rate, depending upon the circumstances. The GIIN addresses systemic barriers to effective impact investing by building critical infrastructure and developing activities, education, and research that attract more investment capital to address global challenges.
The GIIN currently has four program areas that are designed to address the critical needs of the emerging impact investing industry.
- The Investors’ Council is an exclusive leadership group for active large-scale impact investors. It provides a forum for experienced impact investors to strengthen the practice of impact investing and accelerate learning about new areas in the field.
- The Impact Reporting and Investment Standards (IRIS) is a set of metrics that can be used to measure and describe an organization’s social, environmental, and financial performance.
- ImpactBase is the online global directory of impact investment vehicles that reduces search costs for investors and fund managers.
- The Outreach initiative elevates the profile of impact investing by highlighting exemplary impact investments, industry progress, and best practices. The GIIN also conducts and disseminates research, informs conference and event programming, and promotes mainstream media coverage of impact investments.
The Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) is looking to hire a Research Manager to play a key role in shaping and implementing a focused research program in this fast paced, growing start-up organization. The ideal candidate for the role must have strong research skills, analytical capacity, and project management experience. The Research Manager will report to the Director of Strategy and Development.
- Conceptualize, design, and conduct qualitative and quantitative practitioner-oriented research to advance the impact investing field
- Manage research projects from conception to publication, including project and methodological design, resource planning, designing questionnaires, conducting analysis, producing written reports, etc.
- Help shape the GIIN’s research agenda with innovative ideas, research methods, and recognition of trends
- Supervise and support the professional development of the Research & Development Associate
- Develop and manage pipeline of research projects
- Collaborate with internal teams to surface and develop research projects utilizing the GIIN’s unique data assets and networks
- Identify strategic opportunities for collaboration and develop and manage relationships with research partners
- Manage relationships with partners, practitioners, and other stakeholders in research design and development
- Represent the GIIN and current research projects at relevant events, webinars, and conferences
- Collaborate with communications department to frame and disseminate research to target audiences
The Manager must have the ability to design and conduct data-driven research in an organized, collaborative, and resourceful manner. The ideal candidate has research and management experience, and is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. Experience in high-growth organizations would be advantageous, but is not required for the role.
- Strong conviction that for-profit investment capital can effectively address social and environmental challenges
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree or equivalent experience in related field required (e.g. Business, Policy, Finance, Economics, International Development)
- 8+ years of relevant work experience showing ability to synthesize and effectively communicate complex ideas, particularly in written reports.
- Experience in and nuanced knowledge of investing or finance highly desirable
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and critical and creative thinking skills; a proactive approach to solving problems
- Success managing large projects with multiple stakeholders, prioritizing simultaneous projects, and meeting deadlines
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Experience in analytical/statistical methods and interpretation of statistical results; knowledge of survey design and statistical software tools to analyze/interpret data
- Team-orientation, with strong interpersonal skills, experience managing a direct report and the ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Outstanding verbal communication and presentation skills and success in managing professional relationships
- Detail-oriented, with high standards of performance
- Fluent in Microsoft Office Suite, comfort working with internet tools and technology to manage projects and relationships
- Personable, engaging presence, with diplomacy, tact, and good humor
How to Apply
Email cover letter and resume to Laurie Rud at email@example.com by August 15, 2012. State “Research Manager” in the subject line of your email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so we strongly encourage early applications.
No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. The GIIN is a sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors (RPA). RPA is an equal opportunity employer.