Green Building Organizer – New York, NY
Organization: West Harlem Environmental Action Action, Inc.
Job Title: Green Building Oganizer
Location: New York, NY
Hours and Compensation: Full time, Salary range of $38,000 – $40,000 , benefits include Health, Vision and Dental fully paid for
Position Dates: Start August 27th, 2012
Application Deadline: August 17th, 2012
Posted On: July 26th, 2012
West Harlem Environmental Action (WE ACT For Environmental Justice) is a 24-year old Northern Manhattan community-based organization whose mission is to build healthy communities by assuring that people of color and or low income participate meaningfully in the creation of sound and fair environmental health and protection policies and practices.
WE ACT seeks an experienced bilingual community organizer to engage landlords, tenants, and superintendents in East, Central, and West Harlem and Washington Heights on fuel conversions from #6 heating oil to cleaner fuels. These fuel conversions recently mandated by city law will improve air quality and reduce greenhouse gases that contribute to global warming. In addition, the organizer will develop curriculum and deliver workshops and trainings on indoor air quality impacts on public health, alternative energy, and energy efficiency.
- Work closely with the Director of Programs and Policy Initiatives to develop strategies for WE ACT’s Clean Energy, Clean Heat campaign.
- Recruit Northern Manhattan residents, Landlords, Superintendents and community Stakeholders to participate in workshops on Alternative Energy and NYC #6 Heating Oil Fuel Conversion Program.
- Coordinate and conduct organizing events (develop outreach materials, supervise phone banks, conduct door to door outreach to residents in Northern Manhattan and plan informational sessions
- Other community organizing responsibilities as necessary
- Knowledge of building systems
- Ability to develop/deliver training curriculum for diverse audiences
- Knowledge of indoor and outdoor air quality impacts on health
- Community organizing experience in housing or environmental issues
- Knowledge of alternative energy and energy efficiency concepts
- Able to communicate fluently in Spanish and English
- Effective in coalition building
- Strong writing and verbal communicator
- Two years organizing experience
- Knowledge of Northern Manhattan communities
- Knowledge of environmental and social justice issues
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Experience promoting issues and policy objectives
How to Apply
To apply please submit resume and cover letter to Evelyn Joseph Director of Administration & HR at firstname.lastname@example.org