Legislative Advocate – Sacramento, CA
Organization: Planning and Conservation League
Job Title: Legislative Advocate
Location: Sacramento, CA
Hours and Compensation: Full time, salary range is $30,000 – $33,000, benefits include paid health and dental insurance, vacation and sick leave
Position Dates: Start August 27th, 2012
Application Deadline: August 3rd, 2012
Posted On: July 26th, 2012
The Planning and Conservation League (PCL), a Sacramento-based nonprofit organization that connects grassroots organizations to advocate for policies to protect California’s lands, air, waters and communities, seeks an energetic, self-motivated individual to direct the Planning and Conservation League’s legislative program. The Legislative Advocate will act as the primary spokesperson for PCL in the State Capitol during legislative session, overseeing PCL’s legislative agenda and tracking all bills considered to be a PCL priority.
- Working with Executive Director to develop and manage PCL legislative work plan.
- Sponsoring and overseeing legislation on behalf of PCL.
- Managing the legislative tracking system used by PCL.
- Preparing and overseeing the preparation of support and oppose letters, bill analyses, and floor alerts.
- Monitoring and recommending positions on all relevant environmental and public health legislation to the PCL Executive Director (and Board, as needed).
- Testifying before legislative and administrative boards and committees.
- Collaborating with legislators and legislative staff to promote PCL’s legislative strategies, including coordination of briefings and workshops.
- Communicating and collaborating with relevant interest groups (including serving as primary liaison with Green California coalition), governmental agencies, and the press.
- Drafting articles, op-eds, and support materials for priority PCL legislation.
- Supporting PCL priority campaigns, including CEQA and land-use/transportation, through advocacy, coordination of workshops, community organization and mobilization.
- Maintaining and building relations with relevant individuals and organizations.
- Helping to make the PCL legislative symposium a success.
Applicants must have a college degree and at least two years of experience with the legislative process and environmental policy, preferably in the nonprofit arena. He/she must be hard working, extremely organized, self-motivated, enjoy working in a team setting, and demonstrate a deep commitment and passion for conservation and environmental protection. Strong written and verbal communications skills a must.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to Resumes@pcl.org by Friday, August 3