Administrative Assistant – New Haven, CT
Organization: The New Haven Food Policy Council (NHFPC)
Job Title: Administrative Assistant to the New Haven Food Policy Council
Location: New Haven, CT
Hours and Compensation: This position starts immediately and runs through Spring 2013, with approximately 10-15 hours per week with potential for extension. Some early morning meetings, weekend and evening meetings are required. Extra hours are expected in preparation and execution of events. Hourly pay is $15.00 per hour with no additional benefits included.
Position Dates: Start ASAP
Application Deadline: Send in ASAP
Posted On: July 26th, 2012
The New Haven Food Policy Council (NHFPC) is a volunteer advisory council to the City of New Haven that is administered by the non-profit CitySeed. Our 12 Council members are New Haven residents, appointed by the Mayor and approved by the Board of Aldermen to addresses issues relating to our local and regional food system, such as: hunger, obesity, education, food business development, growing food, and environmental impacts, as well as the connection of individuals, communities, businesses and local government to these issues.
CitySeed is seeking a Part-Time Administrative Assistant to help manage the weekly and special event needs of the New Haven Food Policy Council as outlined below. The NHFPC Administrative Assistant will work under the supervision of NHFPC Chair and the CitySeed Community Food System Coordinator as well as Special Event Coordinators as needed. Space will be provided at the CitySeed office. This position starts immediately and runs through Spring 2013, with approximately 10-15 hours per week with potential for extension. Some early morning meetings, weekend and evening meetings are required. Extra hours are expected in preparation and execution of events. Hourly pay is $15.00 per hour with no additional benefits included.
- Manage weekly/monthly operations of the Food Council, including but not limited to internal and external communications, meeting planning website and email communications
- Help develop, synthesize and disseminate communications and presentation materials to effectively communicate the Council’s purpose and aim
- Help coordinate critical events during Food Month in October as well as other events as needed
- Assist Council with organizational restructuring effort led by an outside facilitator
- Attend and participate in conferences, events and outreach opportunities on behalf of NHFPC
- Contribute to agenda setting and goal and objective development with Council Chair
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma required
- Community organizing, cross-cultural, and non-profit experience very helpful
- Enthusiasm for connecting communities through food -related issues
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Relationship building and excellent written communication skills, presentation and public speaking skills
- Self-directed and able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Excel, Dropbox, G-mail, Facebook, Twitter
Other Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience working or volunteering in non-profits
- Experience with event coordination
- Experience facilitating group processes and development
- Familiarity with New Haven and/or other similar urban centers
- Flexibility, maturity and a sense of humor
- Web development experience, familiarity with WordPress
- Graphic design experience, familiarity with Photoshop or InDesign
- Bilingual (Spanish a plus)
How to Apply
To apply, please send resume, cover letter and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position will be posted until filled. No phone calls, please. CitySeed is an Equal Opportunity Employer and especially invites applications from members of underrepresented groups.