Senior Policy Specialist – Washington, DC
Organization: National Wildlife Federation
Job Title: Senior Policy Specialist – Coasts and Floodplains
Location: Washington, DC
Hours and Compensation: Full time, Commensurate, NWF offers an excellent benefits package.
Position Dates: Start ASAP
Application Deadline: Send in ASAP
Posted On: July 27th, 2012
National Wildlife Federation is America’s conservation organization passionate about protecting wildlife for our children’s future.
The Senior Policy Specialist, Coasts and Floodplains will advocate on behalf of NWF’s coasts and floodplains campaigns to better protect and restore coasts and floodplains in the face of more intense storms, sea level rise, flooding and other climate impacts. This position will also advocate, on behalf of NWF’s Gulf Restoration priorities, to the Federal Government.
Legislative Advocacy – New Proposals
- Advocate and implement key policy reforms that will better protect people, communities and wildlife from climate impacts. This includes legislative and administrative remedies that will ensure agencies like the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and FEMA are taking actions to account for climate impacts and to curtail building and rebuilding in environmentally sensitive and high risk areas.
- Advocating for new proposals to modernize the Army Corps of Engineers and to ensure our nation’s rivers are better managed.
- Policy analysis, materials production, and participation in relevant meetings.
Legislative Advocacy – Implementation
- Assist with other coasts and floodplains initiatives like the Coastal Barrier Resources Act.
- Policy analysis, building relationships and advocating for key policies with agency and congressional restoration staff.
- Produce educational and advocacy materials, and lead congressional educational lobby week.
Legislative Advocacy – NWF’s Priorities
- Advocate NWF’s Gulf restoration priorities (NRDA and if Clean Water Act legislation is enacted) to Congress and the Administration.
- Work with the Gulf Restoration Director to identify NWF’s restoration priorities. Includes materials production of NWF’s restoration priorities in the Gulf.
- Assist with other identified priorities of the nature works driver
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- 7 years progressively responsible experience in: helping develop and implement advocacy campaigns, grassroots organizing, media, and environmental advocacy.
- Knowledgeable of how Federal agencies and Congress work.
- Ability to use water restoration laws, programs and policies as a tool to protect wildlife and wild places.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Must be a well organized, strategic thinker with strong communication skills, and the demonstrated ability to set goals and meet deadlines.
How to Apply
Interested candidates please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter to: http://www.nwf.org/About/Jobs-at-NWF.aspx.