Senior Advocate – San Francisco, CA
Organization: The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)
Job Title: Senior Advocate – Health and Environment Program
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours and Compensation: Full time, We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience
Position Dates: Start ASAP
Application Deadline: Send in ASAP
Posted On: July 30th, 2012
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is one of the nation’s most effective environmental action organizations. We use law, science and the support of 1.3 million members and online activists to protect human health as well as the planet’s wildlife and wild places. Our staff of more than 400 lawyers, scientists and policy experts work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Beijing. For more than two decades, NRDC has been leading the scientific charge to reduce exposures to toxic chemicals that cause disease. NRDC’s efforts have resulted in major reductions in diesel emissions from school buses and trucks, critical legislation to limit mercury pollution, removal of some of the most toxic pesticides from the market, bans of endocrine disrupting chemicals in toys, and promotion of sustainable agricultural practices. Health and Environment Program scientists, lawyers, and advocates investigate the largest sources of toxic contaminants, identify safer alternatives, and then deploy their unique skills to pressures regulators, legislators, the courts, and businesses to reduce emissions of harmful pollution.
NRDC seeks a senior level Advocate in San Francisco to join the Health and Environment Program. Current priority issue areas in the program include chemical policy reform, sustainable food production, safe drinking water, global mercury pollution, air toxics, and health impacts of climate change. Although the majority of work focuses on government policy reform, work to directly impact corporate environmental policies and practices in the U.S. and abroad is an increasing emphasis in the Health and Environment Program portfolio.
- Design, implement, and oversee projects to reduce environmental health threats.
- Supervise staff in San Francisco and lead the Program’s efforts in California.
- Help to set the overall priorities and direction of the Health and Environment Program.
- Provide strategic planning and program direction for environmental health issues at NRDC.
- Raise awareness and support of NRDC’s Environment and Health goals with government officials, media, and the public.
- Act as a spokesperson for NRDC at multiple public fora including: media interviews, legislative hearings, etc.
- Raise funds through donor cultivation and grant proposals, working with the NRDC development team.
- Expertise in environmental and public health issues.
- Strong track record in effecting policy change.
- Demonstrated fundraising ability.
- Experience with diverse policy models and advocacy strategies (legislative, administrative, communication, etc).
- Experience engaging the private-sector to reduce chemical use in the U.S. and/or abroad a strong plus.
- Exceptional ability to think strategically, creatively and aggressively to advance policy goals.
- Exceptional research, writing and public speaking skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work with diverse coalitions to identify common ground and work towards mutual goals.
- Strong management and interpersonal skills – ability to work well in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- At least 15 years of relevant experience.
- Advanced degree, including Masters, JD, MD, PhD, etc.
How to Apply