Shareholder Advocate – Boston, MA
Organization: Green Century Capital Management, Inc. (Green Century)
Job Title: Shareholder Advocate
Location: Boston, MA
Hours and Compensation: Full time, Salary for this position is set on a non-profit advocacy scale and will be commensurate with relevant experience. Green Century offers a comprehensive benefits package, including individual or family health care coverage, a 401k retirement plan, educational loan assistance and an opportunity to participate in the firm’s disability insurance plan. Opportunities for advancement, travel, and additional training are available.
Position Dates: Start ASAP
Application Deadline: August 5th, 2012
Posted On: July 31st, 2012
Green Century Capital Management, Inc. (Green Century) administers the Green Century Funds, the first family of no-load environmentally responsible mutual funds. Founded and wholly owned by non-profit advocacy organizations, Green Century is dedicated to promoting an environmentally sustainable economy. The Green Century Funds are designed to achieve competitive returns while putting investors’ money to work for cleaner air, cleaner water, and greater corporate environmental responsibility.
The Green Century mission: • Provide environmentally responsible investing opportunities for those who care about the planet while seeking competitive returns • Promote corporate environmental responsibility through a comprehensive and sustained shareholder advocacy program • Support the advocacy and public interest work of Green Century’s founding non-profit organizations by generating revenue to fund their programs
Green Century helps foster a sustainable economy by directly encouraging companies to lessen their environmental impacts. From strategic dialogue with management and top executives, to raising issues with the public and other shareholders through the filing of shareholder resolutions, to responsible proxy voting at the companies in which the Green Century Funds hold shares, Green Century employs numerous strategies to encourage improvements in corporate behavior.
Working with Green Century senior staff, the Shareholder Advocate will bring critical environmental concerns to America’s largest corporations and help develop strategies to ensure that the corporations respond by improving their practices.
The Shareholder Advocate will research a broad range of environmental issues and corporate practices to identify opportunities for change, and will help develop the business case for taking responsible environmental action. The Shareholder Advocate will also help coordinate Green Century’s work with that of other responsible investors as well as with the broader community of environmental advocates, researchers, and policy experts.
Green Century is seeking a candidate with a demonstrated commitment to the environment, excellent writing skills, exceptional people skills, an appreciation of strategy, a fearless approach to calling members of the media, and a proven ability to juggle multiple projects. The candidate should be able to work effectively in both corporate and non-profit settings.
• Conducting research to identify new potential engagement opportunities
• Assisting in the development and implementation of the annual advocacy plan targeting specific environmental concerns and companies
• Managing relationships and projects to advance specific issue campaigns
• Coordinating and facilitating corporate engagements through written correspondence, telephone calls, and in-person meetings
• Drafting and filing shareholder resolutions
• Presenting Green Century shareholder resolutions and other concerns at corporate annual general meetings
• Actively participating in established investor coalitions
• Organizing and maintaining coalitions to advance our campaigns
• Communicating with non-profit organizations to develop and coordinate actions
• Writing and distributing news releases and speaking with members of the press
• Writing and producing materials describing Green Century’s work, including web content, newsletters, and other communications
• Promoting Green Century to various audiences, including at conferences and other events
• Supporting the broader mission of Green Century and our non-profit owners, as needed
• A demonstrated commitment to environmental issues, and an interest in environmentally responsible businesses and socially responsible investing
• Strong verbal, writing, interpersonal, strategic and analytical skills with good attention to detail
• An ability to both work as part of a team and deliver independent projects
• Enthusiasm for travel within the U.S.
• A college degree is required
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate in the subject line: Green Century Shareholder Advocate Candidate