Education and Outreach Coordinator – Elon, NC
Organization: Elon University, Office of Sustainability
Job Title: Education and Outreach Coordinator
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: Full time
Position Dates: permanent
Application Deadline: August 31, 2012
Posted On: August 3, 2012
Elon University embraces its founders’ vision of an academic community that transforms mind, body, and spirit and encourages freedom of thought and liberty of conscience. Elon University is a selective, independent university renowned as a national model for engaged learning, along with excellence in the liberal arts and sciences and professional programs. Elon’s beautiful and historic campus in central North Carolina is designated as a botanical garden.
The Education and Outreach Coordinator will be a part of the Office of Sustainability and report to the Director of Sustainability. The Coordinator will develop and implement programs to increase the practice of sustainable behaviors and enhance awareness of sustainability initiatives and accomplishments to foster a culture of sustainability at Elon University. The individual will communicate Elon’s sustainability efforts and engage internal and external audiences through a variety of methods.
The duties of this position will include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement behavior modification programs to reduce student, staff and faculty environmental impacts associated with resource consumption in student living quarters, academic, athletic and administrative buildings year-round. Verify and report effectiveness of programs.
- Develop, implement and manage sustainability education and outreach programs on campus including but not limited to events, competitions, seminars, conferences, workshops, trainings, etc.
- Recruit, motivate, train, coordinate and supervise students to continue the successful Eco-Reps and intern program. Maintain the campus sustainability website.
- Compose materials on campus sustainability initiatives. Draft articles, case studies and press releases for both on and off campus publications.
- Design and produce visually stimulating materials for effective message communication in print advertising, online, newsletters, posters, signage, etc.
- Compile and disseminate sustainability information, news and events through a regular newsletter, email lists, and other social media outlets, including the Elon Sustainability Facebook page. Maintain email listserv(s).
- Collaborate with the Physical Plant to disseminate information and feedback on energy and water consumption and conservation as well as recycling.
- Speak publicly about Elon’s sustainability initiatives both on and off campus.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to the position duties and 3 to 5 years of experience with marketing, communications, public outreach campaigns and/or educational programs or a graduate degree with equivalent experience.
- Experience with university sustainability programs, including supervising students, is preferred but not required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to work as a team member and leader as well as ability to work independently; ability to build coalitions and communicate and work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, genders and perspectives; ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, and to work with shifting priorities and schedules.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, organizing and implementing programs and events.
- Proficiency with Windows, Microsoft Office, graphic design and web publishing products (such as Adobe Creative Suite) and ability to learn new technology.
- Demonstrated ability to design and produce visually stimulating materials for effective message communication
How to Apply
The following materials are required in addition to the online application: cover letter, resume, contact information for three references and a promotional sample (flyer, brochure, newsletter, poster, web site, etc.) illustrating the applicant’s design abilities. The promotional sample can be something created for a current or previous position/experience or created specifically for this position application.
Applications must be received by August 31, 2012 to be assured consideration.