Conservation Internship — Boston, MA
Organization: Appalachian Mountain Club
Job Title: Conservation Internship
Location: Boston, MA
Hours and Compensation: $2500 over 12 weeks ($550 for projects) and undisclosed lodging benefits
Position Dates: Approximately Oct. 1 through Dec. 31, 2012
Application Deadline: Sept. 14 priority deadline (open until filled)
Posted On: 8/31/12
The AMC promotes the protection, enjoyment, and understanding of the mountains, forests, waters, and trails of the Appalachian region. We believe these resources have intrinsic worth and also provide recreational opportunities, spiritual renewal, and ecological and economic health for the region.
The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) seeks a talented and enthusiastic Conservation Intern to assist and support the development of a new coalition, Outdoor Americans for Clean Air to engage recreationists, hunters/anglers and outdoor retailers in clean air issues. The intern will develop conservation messaging, online advocacy actions, including social media-based advocacy, and grassroots organizing in order to effectively engage our members, supporters, and other outdoor enthusiasts in air quality, energy, and climate change issues and policies. This individual will also be responsible for developing and updating conservation content for AMC’s website (www.outdoors.org) and social media outlets; creating shareable online content; working with AMC conservation and communications staff on social media-based advocacy messaging; reaching out to like-minded organizations to increase the number of coalition members, as well as assisting AMC’s Staff Scientist and Director of Conservation Strategies in developing advocacy campaigns around priority air quality and related energy and climate change issues.
A new coalition, Outdoors Americans for Clean Air (OA4CA), will provide a unified voice for all people who spend time in the outdoors. The coalition aims to increase the awareness of “Outdoors Americans” about the air they breathe, linking resource protection as well as their personal health to strong clean air policies. We will promote the voices of hikers, hunters, anglers, boaters, birders, gardeners, and outdoor retailers as important and effective constituents to weigh-in with decision makers on clean air issues and ensure that the Clean Air Act continues to move us forward toward cleaner air. We will focus our initial outreach in the Northeast where our organizational base is.
- Assist in the development of advocacy campaigns to engage our members, supporters and partners in priority clean air and energy issues.
- Create a directory of potential coalition members and begin outreach to them.
- Help to coordinate and rally key outdoor partners by providing them with a “toolkit” for grassroots involvement including draft action alerts, template sign-on letters etc.
- Work with AMC’s Social Media Associate to promote conservation messaging and priority conservation campaigns via existing social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter. Share this content with key partners to help engage them in priority campaigns.
- Analyze web stats and analytics to evaluate effectiveness of online advocacy strategies.
- Assist in tabling at events andmanaging speaker opportunities as required.
- Enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in environmental science/policy or related field of study.
- Strong writing and communication skills including persuasive and engaging writing.
- Experience with social networking such as Facebook and Twitter as well as experience or familiarity with internet organizing.
- Ability to initiate and develop projects involving staff and volunteers.
- Creative approach to problem solving.
- Well-organized, accurate, self-motivated, and able to perform a variety of tasks both independently and in a team environment.
- Passionate about protecting the environment and outdoor recreation.
- Physical abilities required: Most work is performed in a standard office setting. Must be able to sit, stand, walk, and operate standard office equipment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume, two writing samples and contact information for three references electronically firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be until the position is filled, priority will be given to applications received by September 14, 2012. No phone calls, please.