Policy Director — Albany, NY
Organization: Environmental Advocates of New York
Job Title: Policy Director
Location: Albany, NY
Hours and Compensation:
Position Dates: Full Time
Application Deadline: until filled
Posted On: Aug. 20, 2012
Environmental Advocates of New York’s mission is to protect our air, land, water and wildlife and the health of all New Yorkers. Based in Albany, we monitor state government, evaluate proposed laws, and champion policies and practices that will ensure the responsible stewardship of our shared environment. We work to support and strengthen the efforts of New York’s environmental community and to make our state a national leader.
- Set strategic direction for Environmental Advocates’ programs including policy goals and objectives and assess the organization’s progress towards achieving these.
- Work with program staff to build and maintain coalitions of partner organizations.
- In coordination with communications and membership staff, help identify opportunities for media outreach and member engagement.
- Work with the Board of Director’s Program Committee to keep the board well-informed of our advocacy goals and to receive their input.
- With the Executive Director identify foundations and develop funding proposals to support our programmatic efforts.
- Ensure that program staff is achieving grant deliverables and timely reporting results.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of experience in policy advocacy.
- Exceptional writing, researching and editing skills.
- Exceptional oral presentation skills and an ability to effectively relate complex environmental and policy topics to a variety of lay and expert audiences.
- Experience serving as a public spokesperson and represent the organization and its positions.
- Strong familiarity with the legislative and budget process.
- Strong ability to set goals, identifies intermediate objectives, and finds the resources necessary to achieve those goals and objectives.
- Ability to manage staff and work effectively as part of a leadership team.
- A strong will to succeed against all odds.
How to Apply
Please e-mail your résumé or curriculum vitae, cover letter, list of references, and a writing sample to Robert Moore, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in the subject line “Policy Director”