Finance Manager (part time) — San Francisco, CA
Organization: Amazon Watch
Job Title: Finance Manager
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours and Compensation: Part Time – salary commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: Sep. 21, 2012
Posted On: Sep. 7, 2012
Founded in 1996, Amazon Watch is a dynamic nonprofit organization that protects the rainforest and advances the rights of indigenous peoples in the Amazon Basin. We partner with indigenous and environmental organizations in campaigns for human rights, corporate accountability and the preservation of the Amazon’s ecological systems. Amazon Watch has successfully led the way in a number of groundbreaking victories for indigenous peoples’ rights and the environment through effective campaigning, educating corporations and the public, and strengthening the capacities of indigenous committees.
We are looking for a part-time experienced finance manager to join our fun-loving, hard-working and kind-hearted team in our San Francisco headquarters. The Finance Manager will manage the accounting operations of the organization including budgeting, auditing, payroll, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger and financial reporting in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and internal policies and procedures. He or she will oversee development and implementation of financial systems and will [take the lead on] producing accounting reports to staff and board. The financial manager may also assume responsibility for financial functions [at times when the Deputy or Executive Directors are traveling or unavailable].
- Function as gatekeeper for all budgets and reports;
- Controller on all expenses, payroll and contractor fees;
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings;
- Supervise all bookkeeping and report generation and serve as primary liaison to any financial consultants;
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts;
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management;
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit;
- Coordinate cash flow reporting, P&L’s and balance sheets for management team and board of directors finance and/or audit committee;
- Facilitate organizational and programmatic budget creation process and produce ongoing budgetary updates as needed;
- Controller of all cash bank accounts, credit lines, pension funds and stock holdings.
- Extensive software skills with applications such as Word and Excel required, (Salesforce experience a plus)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration. Master’s Degree or CPA Certification preferred. Minimum of five years of overall professional experience. Ideally three or more years of broad financial and operations management experience, with a non-profit organization with a budet of [more than $1.5 million].
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude and ability to follow through on instructions
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work well with as part of a team as well as independently
- Proficient in both PC and Mac
- Self-motivated and highly organized with ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Superb attention to detail and sharp memory
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and complete work efficiently
- Strong commitment to Amazon Watch’s mission
- Flexibility, sense of humor and critical thinking skills
- Legal work authorization to be employed in the United States
- Prior experience working with Environmental, Social Justice or Human Rights
organizations is a plus
How to Apply
Please send resume, three references, and cover letter about why you would like to join our team and why you are the best candidate for the job to:
Paul Paz y Miño
Amazon Watch 221 Pine St., Suite 400
San Francisco, CA 94104
OR by email to:
applications @ amazonwatch.org.