Policy Intern — Boston, MA
Organization: Save the Harbor/Save the Bay
Job Title: Policy Intern
Location: Boston, MA
Hours and Compensation: minimum 15 hours/week — Unpaid (will work with intern to meet credit requirements)
Position Dates: Sep. 10 — Dec. 31
Application Deadline: Rolling
Posted On: Sep. 4, 2012
Save the Harbor/Save the Bay is led by a broad group of civic, corporate, cultural, and community leaders as well as citizens and scientists whose shared mission is to:
• restore and protect Boston Harbor and Massachusetts Bay
• reconnect our citizens, our communities and especially our young people to the sea
• ensure the balanced development of a world-class waterfront for everyone to enjoy
The policy intern will be enthusiastic and interested in working on a variety of projects focused on improving the water quality of the Boston Harbor. This is an outstanding opportunity for someone interested in learning about the role the non-profit sector plays in environmental improvement and advocacy since our interns have the opportunity to explore many facets of managing a far-reaching, successful non-profit organization.
• Data Analysis and Interpretation: Gather data on the water in the harbor to evaluate the quality of the water for recreation activities such as fishing, boating, and swimming; Review the results of the water tests, and determine whether or not they reinforce current water use policies.
• Policy and Communication: Organize information on a number of projects that Save the Harbor/Save the Bay can present at local and regional meetings. Prepare memos and emails that explain new water use policies and proposals to local organizations and officials.
• Research current policy issues, preserve and organize newspaper clips, prepare policy related mailings and emails.
• Excellent writing and communications skills
• Science background is not required, though an interest in science as it relates to the Boston Harbor and water quality is a must
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and internet searches
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com or contact Rajani Marie Mitchell at 617-451-2860 x 1009 for more information.