Economic Policy Intern — DC or NYC
Organization: Environmental Defense Fund
Job Title: Economic Policy Intern
Location: DC or NYC
Hours and Compensation: 35 hours/week — paid
Position Dates: Oct. 10 – Dec. 27, 2012
Application Deadline: open until filled
Posted On: Aug. 15, 2012
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, with a focus on results.
The Economic Policy Intern will assist economists in EDF’s Office of Economic Policy and Analysis in developing and analyzing market-based solutions to a wide range of environmental problems (including climate change, energy, nitrogen pollution, and ecosystem and water markets) through research, data analysis, and assistance with writing internal reports and public communications.
- Help create and maintain information databases based on a wide variety of economic models and sources
- Provide timely in-house economic analyses for the following EDF programs (Climate & Air; Land, Water & Wildlife; Energy; Oceans)
- Monitor and assist in responding to economic queries from press/media, government, and internal sources
- Assist in writing reports and press releases on economic issues
- Provide support for the above tasks through internet and library research
- Undergraduate or graduate student with economics background (at least two college-level economics classes required; economics major or related discipline preferred)
- Interest in public policy and advocacy, particularly energy, climate change policy and use of market-based solutions to environmental problems.
- Highly proficient in MS Word and Excel
- Exceptional organizational skills–must be detail oriented and able to multi-task
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced environment with changing needs and critical deadlines
- Excellent research skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a team setting as well as independently
How to Apply
Application requirements: Please complete our online application, upload your resume and identify in your cover letter if you are interested in working in DC or NYC.