Research Assistant — San Francisco, CA
Organization: Environmental Defense Fund
Job Title: Research Assistant (in the office of Chief Scientist)
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours and Compensation: full time – pay not specified
Application Deadline: open until filled
Position Dates: Term Hire – length not specified
Posted On: Sep. 21, 2012
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
The Office of Chief Scientist is the nexus of science at EDF, ensuring that all EDF policy positions are based on the best available natural and social science. To be most effective in this role the Office of Chief Scientist provides programmatic support for all scientists at EDF and fosters relationships with scientists outside the organization.
The Research Assistant will be a key team member in the Office of Chief Scientist, conducting basic secondary research and analysis of a wide variety of environmental topics. The Research Assistant will report to a Scientist in the Office of Chief Scientist.
- Research, analyze and synthesize information on a wide variety of environmental topics for Office of Chief Scientist staff.
- Assist in scientific fact-checking of various materials.
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills in preparing correspondence and reports.
- Work with internet communications staff to maintain up-to-date scientific information on websites.
- Assist in the development and production of project materials such as videos, case studies, brochures, reports, and presentations.
- Assist with internal communications with EDF scientists.
- When necessary, assist with administrative tasks associated with the Office of Chief Scientist.
- BS in environmental science (e.g., biology, earth systems, energy, environmental health, etc) or environmental policy with a strong science background.
- Excellent research and analytical skills and an interest in performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work.
- Intellectual agility and interest in working on a very wide variety of environmental topics.
- Creative and flexible thinker who can learn to attack problems from various directions.
- Strong computer proficiency, including experience with Excel, Word, and Internet research.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Team-oriented with the ability to work independently as needed, using independent judgment to plan, prioritize, and organize a diversified workload.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and a demanding workload in a fast-paced environment with grace and humor.
- Ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks.
How to Apply
Apply Online: http://www.edf.org/jobs/research-assistant