Communications Intern — Washington D.C.
Organization: Chesapeake Climate Action Network
Job Title: Communications Intern
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: 10-20 hours/week (flexible — and basic stipend
Application Deadline: until filled
Position Dates: Start in October or when filled
Posted On: Sep. 25, 2012
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is a dynamic grassroots, nonprofit organization dedicated exclusively to fighting global warming in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. We envision a country where clean energy sources, such as solar and wind power, are prioritized and dirty fossil fuels are phased out; where our world is on a path to 350 ppm CO2 in the atmosphere, creating a stable, sustainable climate.
We are looking for a Fall 2012 Communications Intern to expand our organization’s communications capacity. This is an excellent opportunity for students and recent graduates with interests in climate change, environmental policy, public health and advocacy communications. The position is part-time, 10 to 20 hours per week, with flexible hours that can accommodate a student’s schedule. We offer a basic stipend depending on experience, hours, and internship duration. Academic credit is available where applicable. The internship will be based in CCAN’s main office in Takoma Park, Maryland (just three blocks from Metro Red Line).
- Draft and edit a wide variety of promotional content, including action alerts, fact sheets, news releases, blog posts, and web content.
- Track media coverage and build and update media contact lists.
- Conduct research.
- Produce content for Twitter, Facebook, and other social media sites.
- Produce multimedia content, including videos and photos.
- Attend and help with logistics for various events and meetings.
- Perform other functions as needed.
- Passion for fighting climate change and interest in environmental communications.
- Excellent written, verbal, and research skills.
- Ability to work independently and in teams, prioritize workload, and multi-task.
- Attention to detail.
- Organized, self-motivated and flexible.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and internet applications.
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, etc).
- HTML/CSS, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, iMovie knowledge a plus.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample to Communications Director Kelly Trout firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify “CCAN Fall 2012 Communications Internship” as the subject of your email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the internship is filled.