Project Analyst, Working Lands — Sacramento, CA
Organization: Environmental Defense Fund
Job Title: Project Analyst, Working Lands
Location: Sacramento, CA
Hours and Compensation: Full Time – $ not specified
Application Deadline: until filled
Posted On: Oct. 11, 2012
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
The Project Analyst is a key support player in the administrative, operational, and financial systems for the Working Lands team. Primary responsibilities will include systematically gathering, analyzing and reporting on program data. S/he will work with the Working Lands Senior Director, directors, project staff, and LWW Business Manager to report, track, and analyze project efforts and proposals and will organize and report data to assist in decision-making. The Project Analyst will be asked to organize data, build spreadsheets, make charts and help spot variances and issues in budget making, project administration, grant reporting and other program-wide issues and systems. The Project Analyst will work with staff throughout the program and in other departments to insure the production of timely, accurate and insightful financial and operational information.
- Work with project staff in preparing and processing consulting contracts, including monitoring existing contracts and processing invoices.
- Using existing system data, produce monthly reports of actual vs. budget results; investigate, analyze and explain variances from budget for income and expense line items; and advise LWW business manager on trends and issues of concern.
- Develop new project budget proposals: work with program management, program staff, finance staff and development staff to develop new project budget proposals submitted outside the annual budget.
- Assist program staff in the development of the program’s annual budget submission.
- Responsible for account creation and maintenance and contract and invoice processing.
- College degree with business management, finance or accounting major. Five years of finance or accounting experience may be considered in lieu of a degree in business management, finance or accounting.
- Detail-oriented and ability to work with financial data, spot trends and ensure accuracy.
- A high degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite, particularly Excel. Must be able to work with Excel to understand and develop formulas, charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by senior leadership.
- Excellent communication skills with enthusiasm for team approach and problem solving.
- Ability to perform well in fast-paced, multi-tasking style with changing priorities and tight deadlines.
- Self-motivated, creative and attentive to details.
- Experience with forecasting, budgeting and reporting software packages; and knowledge of nonprofit accounting and fundraising practices a plus.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter, resume and salary requirements. Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.