Campaign Representative, Beyond Coal- Coal-Free New England — TBD, MA
Organization: Sierra Club
Job Title: Campaign Representative, Beyond Coal- Coal-Free New England
Location: TBD, MA
Hours and Compensation: Full Time – The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 6 non-exempt position.
Application Deadline: until filled
Posted On: Oct. 12, 2012
The Campaign Representative is responsible for the planning, coordination and implementation of the Beyond Coal Campaign strategies and activities in New England and as assigned. Collaborates with and coordinates the Campaign’s activities with the state Chapter(s), volunteers and appropriate staffing resources. Develops strategies, implements state level work plans, communicates priorities and benchmarks, provides leadership, promotes participation and reports on campaign effectiveness. Represents the Sierra Club to government officials, the media, business and community leaders, allies and other organizations, and the public.
1. Plans and carries out activities for the Beyond Coal campaign. Participates in the development of a strategic campaign plan, goals and objectives, for New England. Implements the state level aspects of a strategic campaign. Collaborates with Sierra Club’s Environmental Law Program, Chapters, Communications Department, Organizing and Online Organizing Capacities, Political Team, Sierra Student Coalition, Sierra Club’s programs (including but not limited to Environmental Justice, Labor, Partnerships), and volunteer leadership to ensure the execution of a state-based campaign to move the state(s) off of coal to renewable energy and energy efficiency.
2. Provides professional expertise, guides and supports staff and volunteers. Provides conservation training and motivation to staff and volunteers.
3. Works to develop and ensure that volunteers assume meaningful roles in the program/campaign.
4. Coordinates media outreach activities related to the campaign/program. Serves as Sierra Club spokesperson to media outlets and promotes volunteer media exposure.
5. Writes, edits, and reviews educational and advocacy materials.
6. Represents the Sierra Club to the general public and to strategic allies.
7. Assists with donor communications, cultivation and solicitation under the direction of senior Coal Campaign and Advancement staff.
8. Reports on progress toward established goals and the effectiveness of campaign strategies.
9. Introduces creative ideas and approaches for consideration.
10. Handles miscellaneous projects and duties as assigned.
– B.A./B.S. degree in an environmental or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
– At least 3 years experience in the planning and implementation of campaigns, which includes strategy, organizing, media relations and contacts with political and business leaders.
– Expert knowledge of energy solution issues. Knowledge of renewable energy industry and economics.
– Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated public speaking and media presentation ability.
– Demonstrated ability to work effectively with volunteers.
– Valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required.
How to Apply