Legal Internship — Rockford, IL
Organization: Natural Land Institute
Job Title: Legal Internship
Location: Rockford, IL
Hours and Compensation: 15-20 hours per week, 3 days per week. Schedule negotiable. — Unpaid
Application Deadline: not specified
Posted On: year round posting
We are one of the oldest private conservation groups in the Midwest. We are a member supported, nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving land and natural diversity for future generations. Since 1958, NLI has protected, managed, and restored more than 16,000 acres throughout Illinois and southern Wisconsin.
Serving as a regional land trust, the Institute accepts donations of properties, buys lands, manages natural areas, and helps landowners establish legal agreements that permanently limit harmful use and development.
To assist with the legal aspects of reviewing and transferring conservation
easements to other organizations (by the Natural Land Institute (a 52-year old land
conservation organization located in Rockford, Illinoisserving northwestern Illinois).
- Review conservation easement files and prepare draft documents to transfer the easements to other non-profit organizations
- Coordinate legal review of transfer documents with real estate attorney and recipient organization’s legal counsel.
- Present documents to Land Conservation Committee and Board for review
- Complete transfer of easements to other organizations and record legal documents
- Basic knowledge of Illinois real estate laws
- Ability to review and draft legal documents
- Good writing skills
- Interest in the work of nonprofit conservation groups
- Desire to work with real estate attorneys to learn conservation law
- Students interested in the field of conservation and real estate law
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above
- Car or other means of transportation to the internship site
- Must enjoy working with volunteers
How to Apply
- Completed application
- Two letters of recommendation
- One-page essay about what student hopes to gain from internship
- Submission of requirements for internship completion/credit from college/university
- Interview with Executive Director and Assistant Director