Sustainable Land Use Intern — Palo Alto, CA
Organization: Sierra Club Loma Prieta Chapter
Job Title: Sustainable Land Use Intern
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Hours and Compensation: 8-12 hours/week — no $ specified
Application Deadline: until filled
Position Dates: Sep. – Dec. 2012 (flexible)
Posted On: Sep. 26, 2012
The Loma Prieta Chapter is a leader in responding to climate change and brings the slogan “think global, act local” to life in the Silicon Valley. Leveraging the success of our Cool Cities teams and Sustainable Land Use Committee, our Building Climate-Friendly Communities campaign focuses on reducing greenhouse gas emissions through smart land use planning. We are part of a national effort to create livable, complete neighborhoods near downtowns, transit stations and transit corridors that are integrated with shops and services and have a quality pedestrian environment that allows for healthier and more active lifestyles.
We are seeking motivated, friendly and creative individuals to support our Building Climate- Friendly Communities campaign. Sustainable Land Use Interns will work closely with the Conservation Program Manager and our Sustainable Land Use Committee to review and make recommendations on long-term plans and individual development projects that are near downtowns, transit stations and transit corridors.
- Review and analyze smart growth projects (1-2/month)
- Work with Sustainable Land Use Committee to write comment letters on projects
- Meet with city staff/decision makers to present recommendations on projects
- Conduct research/surveys and create final reports to support our regional sustainable land use work (ie: actual cost of driving for cities, ideal bicycle/pedestrian facilities, mode of transportation surveys, etc)
- Provide support to volunteers to help promote our recommendations
- Assist with local house parties and public presentations
- Represent the Chapter at local events.
- Write articles, op-eds, and letters to the editor in local media sources
- Update the Sustainable Land Use Committee website
- Other tasks as assigned
- Education: Has or is pursuing a Master’s in Urban Planning or related degree
- Strong technical writing skills
- Available from September-December 2012 at 8-12 hours a week, during business hours (though some work can be done remotely)
- Experience/Interest in reviewing Station Area Plans, Downtown Plans, Development proposals, etc
- Passion for sustainability and commitment to Sierra Club goals
How to Apply
If you are interested in the internship, learn more about Cool Cities Teams by going to
http://lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/sustain/index or by calling 650 390 9604.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com