Policy Advisor for Electric Vehicles — New York, NY
Organization: NYC OFFICE OF THE MAYOR – OFFICE OF LONG-TERM PLANNING AND SUSTAINABILITY
Job Title: Policy Advisor for Electric Vehicles
Location: New York, NY
Hours and Compensation: Salary to Commensurate With Experience
Posted On: Oct. 17, 2012
In January 2010, the NYC Mayor’s Office of Long-Term Planning and Sustainability released a report, “Exploring Electric Vehicle Adoption in New York City,” to document potential demand for electric vehicles and the roles that the City could play to foster early adoption. The City then partnered with Boston and Philadelphia to create the Northeast Regional Electric Vehicle Partnership (REVP) with the goal of reducing policy barriers to electric vehicles in large cities and undertaking high impact strategies to grow the marketplace.
New York City’s comprehensive sustainability agenda seeks to increase the adoption of electric vehicles as part of its overarching goals to reduce the City’s greenhouse gas emissions 30% by 2030 and achieve the cleanest air quality of any major U.S. City. Emissions from conventional fossil-fuel based automobiles are one of the leading sources of criteria air pollutants in New York City and they are also a source of benzene and other carcinogenic substances. On-road vehicles are also responsible for nearly 20 percent of the City’s greenhouse gas emission. To review PlanNYC’s electric vehicle study, visit: www.nyc.gov/planyc.
Based on the above initiative, the Mayor’s Office of Long-Term Planning and Sustainability is now seeking a Policy Advisor for Electric Vehicles to lead the efforts to implement a targeted plan to overcome policy barriers and accelerate market growth for electric vehicles in New York City that was developed under the auspices of the Northeast Regional Electric Vehicle Partnership.
- Implementing initiatives developed under the Northeast Regional Electric Vehicle Partnership (NREVP)
- Working with Con Edison and regulatory entities to overcome economic and technical barriers to electric vehicle penetration, in addition to working with both public and private partners to enhance New York City’s electric vehicle infrastructure
- Acting as the project manager for NREVP initiatives that transcend the jurisdiction of a single city, in addition to collaborating with key public and private stakeholders and coordinating intercity efforts
- A bachelor’s and/or graduate degree and three (3) to five (5) years of full-time relevant professional experience
- An understanding of issues relating to transportation and air quality policy in a large urban setting and/or the interplay of transportation, air quality and economic development
- A background in electric vehicle technology and policy is preferred, but not required
- Management, analytical, and leadership skills which include and are not limited to managing complex projects, ability to lead and coordinate complex interagency programs; maintain control of analytical details, ability to successfully gain the support of independent stakeholders
- Ability to balance large-scale projects with simple, targeted changes that offer the potential for significant impact
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly in terms of creating, directing and translating rigorous, defensible public policy models into transparent conclusions that can be easily explained and understood by the public
- New York City government work experience; or relevant consulting or business background, a plus
How to Apply
Submit a brief cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.