Program Officer — Arlington, VA or Little Rock, AR
Organization: Winrock International – Environment Group – Forestry & Natural Resource Management (FNRM) Unit
Job Title: Program Officer
Location: Arlington, VA or Little Rock, AR
Hours and Compensation: The annual salary range will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include life, disability and medical insurance, retirement, and other standard Winrock benefits.
Application Deadline: Nov. 15, 2012
Posted On: Oct. 25, 2012
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources.
The Program Officer will support program/project implementation and new business development focusing on a wide range of topics such as climate change mitigation and adaptation, REDD+, sustainable forest management, biodiversity conservation,community-based land use management; market-driven resource-based enterprise development, and payment for environmental services.
- Support day-to-day program/project implementation;
- Supervise key personnel based in field offices;
- Conduct programmatic and budgetary analysis of projects;
- Monitor budget expenses and provide periodic reporting of budget status;
- Provide technical advice to field teams;
- Work with field teams to write and edit quarterly and annual reports to submit to donors;
- Assist with tracking, reporting of program activities, and project report dissemination;
- Handle accounting activities relating to expense reimbursements, advances, monthly payments, and wire transfers;
- Develop consultant TORs and review consultant expense reports and receipts;
- Mobilize and monitor short term consultants;
- Track procurement correspondence and ensure procurement and IT units respond promptly to questions and requests for approval from the field;
- Liaise with field staff, HQ staff/support units, project partners, and donors.
New Business Responsibilities
- Provide support to the proposal preparation process for USAID and other international donor projects;
- Serve as the proposal lead for Winrock proposals, including supervise the technical program design and budget development, assure quality of all technical pieces of proposal, conduct new business capture and intelligence gathering in the field, and build donor and partner relationship;
- Work with technical staff to understand relevant parts of the RFA/RFP, and comply with instructions;
- Work closely with Winrock’s Contracts, New Business Support, HR, and other administrative support units to develop and prepare new business proposals, engagement letters, and capabilities presentations;
- Coordinate proposal development with subcontractors and grantees as appropriate;
- Other responsibilities will include researching and gathering client/prospect background information and working with proposal team to write, edit proof, coordinate and produce quality, targeted and accurate proposals;
- Schedule and attend strategic proposal and presentation coordination meetings, work with the lead consultant or others to determine roles, responsibilities and deadlines.
Education: Master’s degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, International Development, or related field preferred.
Experience: Ten years relevant professional experience including at least two years of work in a developing country.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, strong organization and project management ability;
- Must be able to multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines;
- Experience writing and/or leading proposals for USAID highly desirable;
- Experience and knowledge in responding to USAID solicitations;
- Technical background in FNRM topics of relevance to USAID development assistance;
- Technical understanding of climate change, in particular Climate Change Adaptation, is highly desirable;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English required;
- Foreign language skills is highly desirable (Spanish, French, Asian languages);
- Demonstrated ability to be able to interact effectively and sensitively with a broad cross-section of Winrock staff and clients is essential;
- Excellent analytical skills and demonstrated strong organizational skills;
- Successful candidate must be able to work effectively on multidisciplinary teams;
- High level of proficiency in MS Office applications.
How to Apply
Applicants may go to Winrock’s Job Page at www.winrock.org to submit a current CV and cover letter by November 15, 2012.