IEC Outreach and Policy Coordinator — Springfield, IL
Organization: Illinois Environmental Council Education Fund
Job Title: IEC Outreach and Policy Coordinator
Location: Springfield, IL
Hours and Compensation: This is a full-time permanent position located in Springfield, Illinois. Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, a 401(k) plan, and vacation.
Application Deadline: Nov. 21, 2012
Posted On: Oct. 26, 2012
The Illinois Environmental Council Education Fund (IECEF) and its affiliate the Illinois Environmental Council (IEC) are 37 year-old organizations that promote sound environmental laws and policies, provide a forum for environmentalists and facilitate a statewide activist network. IECEF engages in legislative monitoring and analysis; outreach, organizing and coalition building; and communication and education. IEC performs legislative advocacy and serves as the environmental community’s eyes, ears and voice in Springfield.
Illinois Environmental Council Education Fund (IECEF) seeks a self-motivated individual to lead the organization’s outreach efforts and assist the executive director with policy, lobbying efforts and grant writing. The outreach coordinator will work to (1) build IECEF’s base of organizational and individual members through attending events and meeting with environmentalists throughout the state of Illinois and (2) coordinate collaborative efforts between members on open space and energy issues.
Entry level applicants must be willing to locate/relocate in Springfield, Illinois, but the organization is willing to consider more experienced individuals located in other parts of Illinois. The position will include approximately 25% travel or 50% travel if the individual is located outside of Springfield.
- Coordinate outreach, organizing and coalition building activities.
- Staff and support coalitions working on energy efficiency, open space, and other issues.
- Lobby the Illinois General Assembly and state agencies on environmental issues.
- Write articles for the newsletter and web site.
- Recruit new member organizations.
- Serve as a media spokesperson.
- Assist with grant writing, fundraising and special events.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
The ideal candidate will have three years experience with coalition organizing and/or the legislative process. S/he will possess the following:
- Ability to work with diverse groups and people.
- Be highly organized.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking.
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks and work independently.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Computer skills, including proficiency Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Interest in environmental issues and policies.
How to Apply
To apply please send a cover letter and resume and salary requirements to:
Jennifer Walling, Executive Director
By e-mail to: email@example.com
Please direct all questions to Jennifer Walling via e-mail.
IEC/IECEF is an equal opportunity employer.