Policy Internship — Washington, D.C.
Organization: Environmental and Energy Study Institute
Job Title: Policy Internship
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: a commitment of 25-40 hours per week – unpaid
Application Deadline: until filled
Position Dates: 10-12 weeks, with a possible extension
Posted On: Nov. 6, 2012
The Environmental and Energy Study Institute educates policymakers, builds coalitions, and develops innovative policies to protect the climate and ensure a healthy, secure, and sustainable future for America.
The Environmental and Energy Study Institute’s (EESI) mission is to promote environmentally sustainable societies through transitions to social and economic patterns that sustain people, the environment and the natural resources upon which present and future generations depend. EESI brings the best science/ technology information, diverse perspectives and policy options that accomplish multiple goals into policy debates on environmental and energy issues. To accomplish this, EESI educates policymakers; provides credible, timely information; and develops innovative policy solutions through coalition building, media outreach, publications, Congressional briefings, workshops and task forces.
Assist EESI Staff with research and writing projects focusing on energy and environmentally-related policy issues including, but not limited to: climate change, sustainable transportation and green communities, smart growth, high performance green buildings, energy efficiency initiatives, renewable energy and other various topics as needed.
You will work with EESI Staff on one or more program areas: Energy & Climate, Sustainable Transportation & Communities, High Performance Green Buildings, or as the Intern to the Executive Director.
- Research, write, and edit articles and web content on a broad range of energy, environment, and policy issues.
- Attend Congressional hearings, other legislative activities and scientific and policy briefings and share observations with staff verbally or in writing.
- Policy research and analysis, including budget, appropriations and current and upcoming legislation at the federal and state level.
- Research and draft program and legislative reports (fact sheets, white papers.)
- Assist with outreach, logistical preparation and execution of EESI sponsored Congressional briefings.
- Identify, monitor and report on relevant science, technology and policy issues.
- Update and maintain social media presence.
- Project-related administrative tasks as necessary.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree (or degree in progress) in a field directly related to environmental policy or public policy. (This requirement may be waived for candidates with demonstrated skill, experience, and interest in these fields.)
- Interest in environmental and energy issues, with particular enthusiasm for the communication of pertinent information to policymakers and other interested parties.
- Strong writing and research skills; clear and concise writing is required for newsletters, hearing/briefing write-ups and facts sheets.
- Self-starter, flexible and able to manage multiple tasks
- Open to feedback, with strong desire to develop professional skills
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in a team or independently as needed
- Ability to represent EESI professionally at events on Capitol Hill
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
How to Apply
Please specify in your cover letter if you have an interest in a specific program area of focus, or if you have specific qualifications for a particular program area. Please also specify the time period during which you seek to intern. Citizens of any nation may apply. We offer a friendly, informal and progressive work environment.
To apply please submit the following to Alison Alford at aalford [at] eesi.org. Please include your name in the subject line of the e-mail:
- Cover letter explaining your interests, what you hope to gain, and what you can contribute during an internship with EESI. Please include any specific areas of interest in the energy and environmental field.
- Current resume
- Writing sample, two-to-five pages in length; can be an excerpt of longer paper.
- Unofficial transcript
The position is unpaid, however, a transportation benefit is available. Thank you for your interest.