Policy Research Intern — Washington, D.C.
Organization: Appalachian Voices
Job Title: Policy Research Intern
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: Part time to Full time; ideally 15-25 hours per week, additional repsponsibilities can be added to create full time role for academic qualifications. This is an unpaid position. Metro costs will be reimbursed.
Application Deadline: until filled
Posted On: Nov. 5, 2o12
Appalachian Voices is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit conservation organization that brings people together to solve the environmental problems having the greatest impact on the central and southern Appalachian Mountains. Our members and allies work together with our staff, board of directors, and volunteers to eliminate air pollution, end mountaintop removal coal mining, and restore the health of native forests in Appalachia.
- Work with Appalachian Voices’ mountaintop removal team to develop and implement strategy for passing anti-mountaintop removal legislation
- Research legislation to help develop new policy strategies to accomplish our goals
- Track bills as they move through Congress
- Research new members of Congress
- Lobby members and staff of the US House of Representatives, US Senate
- Keep database of interactions with Congressional offices.
- Commitment to human rights and environmental issues in the Appalachian Region
- Excellent research, communication, and organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well in a fast-paced environment
- Performs duties with minimal supervision
- A well-developed sense of humor
- Lobbying experience preferred, but not necessary
- Ease with talking to members of Congress
- A good grasp of the basics of mountaintop removal, legislation pertaining to coal, and a solid understanding of the basics of US Government.
- Strong speaking and advocacy skills
- Ability to deal respectfully with those you may disagree with.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line “Policy Research Intern Application.” Please indicate dates and hours that work for you.