Earth Budget Campaign Associate — Washington, D.C.
Organization: Friends of the Earth
Job Title: Earth Budget Campaign Associate
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: full time – 37.5 hours per week — salary to commensurate with experience and skills & a benefits package includes healthcare, paid vacation, sick leave, and an employee contribution-based retirement plan.
Application Deadline: until filled
Posted On: Nov. 9, 2012
Friends of the Earth U.S. is looking for an Earth Budget Campaign Associate to join our team in fighting to defend the environment and create a more healthy and just world. Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for four decades to produce important victories that helped protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in 76 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
In accomplishing our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world values people and the environment. We are focused on reforming economic drivers such as tax and trade policy that are often used to empower corporations and government to harm the environment.
The Earth Budget Campaign is housed within Friends of the Earth’s economic policy team. The Campaign has four planks: ending subsidies for polluting industries, ensuring adequate funding for government to protect public health and the environment; making polluters pay for the damage caused by their pollution, and encouraging investment in clean alternatives.
Friends of the Earth is seeking to hire a talented and dedicated individual to support Friends of the Earth’s Climate and Energy Tax Analyst in advocating for an end to subsidies for polluting industries. This position is ideal for someone who has some experience with advocacy in Washington but wants an opportunity to further develop their skills and experience in a fast moving and exciting environment. This position will be based out of Friends of the Earth’s Washington, DC office.
- Implement strategic campaign and communications strategies in conjunction with the Climate and Energy Tax Analyst, Economic Policy Director and Online Communications Director;
- Conduct research and analysis to develop reports and articles to educate non-governmental organizations, policymakers, and the public;
- Represent Friends of the Earth in various networks of non-governmental organizations;
- Write and produce public education and campaign materials; and
- Educate members of Congress, the administration, opinion leaders, on tax and budget issues.
- One or more years of experience in policy advocacy (not necessarily environmental), organizing or legislative work at the federal or state level;
- Knowledge and experience with the legislative process is strongly preferred;
- A demonstrated commitment to the environment;
- The ability to balance and successfully complete a wide range of campaign activities including advocacy, convening/organizing, policy development, and research, as well as to coordinate media and development staff; and
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
How to Apply
E-mail cover letter, resume, salary requirement and a short writing sample to email@example.com with the subject heading “Earth Budget Associate.” No mail applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.