Communications Specialist — Ann Arbor, MI
Organization: Michigan League of Conservation Voters
Job Title: Communications Specialist
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Hours and Compensation: submit salary requirements with application
Application Deadline: Please apply before December 21, 2012. Applications received prior to December 21 will be given priority, but we will continue to receive applications until the position is filled.
Posted On: Dec. 7, 2012
Michigan LCV is the political voice for Michigan’s lands, waters, air, and Great Lakes. Michigan LCV is a dynamic non-profit, independent political organization working with its members and the state’s conservation and environmental community to make environmental protection a top priority with elected officials and the voting public. Michigan LCV helps elect candidates to public office that stand up for conservation principles, and holds elected officials accountable for their actions.
The affiliated Michigan LCV Education Fund shares staff and office space with Michigan LCV and works to build the power of the conservation community through the education of the public and elected officials, technical support and training, and coalition building. Michigan LCV Education Fund also supports programs to increase active citizen participation in Michigan’s democratic process.
Michigan LCV’s and Michigan LCV Education Fund’s offices are located in Ann Arbor and Grand
The Michigan League of Conservation Voters is seeking a talented and self-motivated Communications Specialist to oversee and implement its communications program, including media relations and increasingly important online communications. This is a full-time position based in the Ann Arbor office.
The Michigan League of Conservation Voters Communications Specialist will manage all aspects of the organization’s media relations and communications, including online and traditional media. The Communication Specialist will work closely with all staff in developing and implementing communications strategies for each program.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and oversee all online communications; including social media, action alerts, weekly and monthly e-newsletters, and fundraising;
- Develop and grow online membership lists;
- Oversee maintenance and write content for our two websites (www.michiganlcv.org and www.michiganlcvedfund.org) and our blog;
- Manage online polling tool;
Assess the Michigan LCV/Michigan LCV Education Fund online communications needs and creating a 5-year online communications plan;
- Implement a comprehensive organizational communications plan, including both short-term and long-term goals;
- Coordinate all media relations, with responsibility for press releases, pitching stories and editorials, media events, briefing materials, and cultivation of press contacts.
- Partner with the Political Director on any and all polling, focus group and message development work completed on behalf of Michigan LCV/Michigan LCV Education Fund;
The Communication Manager is also responsible for performing the administrative tasks necessary to
accomplish his or her job, including but is not limited to:
- Filling out bi-monthly time sheets and other office paperwork, as appropriate;
- Participating in and assisting with trainings for staff, member leaders, and other members for their leadership development;
- Attending staff, Board and annual meetings, and other meetings and events as assigned.
The Communications Specialist must have:
- Excellent writing skills, including the ability to take complex issues and communicate them to the
- general public;
- In-depth experience with online advocacy and new media tools;
- Experience in public relations, journalism, online communications or related jobs;
- Excellent “people skills” and a track record of using them in prior capacities;
- Experience with project management, including both staff and consultants/vendors;
- Solid computer skills, including familiarity with website programs like Drupal;
- Fine tuned organizational skills and ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
- Willingness to travel throughout the state;
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field; and
- A general understanding of environmental issues, Michigan politics and policy combined with a
- commitment to the mission and purpose of Michigan LCV and Michigan LCV Education Fund.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, three references, and two current writing samples by email to