Program Coordinator (East of the Hudson River) – Mahwah, New Jersey
Organization: New York – New Jersey Trail Conference
Job Title: Program Coordinator (East of the Hudson River)
Location: Mahwah, New Jersey
Hours and Compensation: full time; commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: until filled
Position Dates: immediately
Posted On: Dec. 28, 2012
Created in 1920 as a federation of member clubs, the Trail Conference now represents 10,000 individual members and 100 organizational members in the metro NY-NJ region. Since opening the original section of the Appalachian Trail at Bear Mountain in 1923, our trail network has grown to over 1,600 miles of marked and maintained trails. Our mission is to provide the public with responsible access to intact natural areas. The Conference’s three-pronged approach–protection, stewardship, and education–is achieved through a largely volunteer effort guided by a belief that the well-being of our region’s people and ecosystems is dependent on our ability to experience the backcountry in an environmentally responsible way. Our work is supported through membership dues, publication sales, and private donations. In addition, hundreds of volunteers contribute approximately 40,000 hours of effort annually. The office is located in Mahwah, NJ, 26 miles northeast of Manhattan. For more information about the NY-NJ Trail Conference, see www.nynjtc.org
The Program Coordinator works under the direct supervision of the Trail Conference Deputy Executive Director; however he or she is expected to prioritize his or her work to meet the day-to-day demands and ongoing assignments. The East Hudson Program Coordinator is expected to communicate regularly on work projects and seek advice on new or controversial aspects of the work. The Trail Conference fosters a collegial work environment within a management team that includes volunteers and staff, as well as our partners. Travel throughout the region and an irregular work schedule that includes weekend and evenings is a regular part of the position.
Position Summary The East Hudson Program Coordinator serves as the Trail Conference’s primary staff representative in the Hudson River Valley east of the Hudson River (Metro NYC, Westchester, Dutchess, Putnam and Columbia counties). This position works with agency partners and volunteer leaders within the region to implement plans for improving access to open space via trails. As a part of this process, the following activities will be required:
- Partnerships. Develop productive working relationships with agency partners with municipal, county state and federal level and engage in planning processes of key relevance to trail users. Expand and support regular means of communication and planning with partners, volunteer and non-governmental organizations.
- Volunteer Development. Recruit, retain and recognize volunteers and focus their involvement by addressing training and resource needs. The program coordinator also cultivates volunteer leaders and familiarizes them with central staff support and trail management responsibilities.
- Trail Development & Management. The program coordinator works with volunteers and their agency partners to maintain trails and to prioritize major trail projects. The regional coordinator identifies training and recruitment needs by organizing and managing workshops, events, and communications.
- Trail Protection. Advocate for trail friendly local land use policies. Identify key land acquisition needs and opportunities. Making presentations to local planning boards and municipal councils about our work to establish the Highlands Trail will be a major focus of effort.
- Resource Development. The program coordinator seeks out and develops sources for funding of regional projects and programs in coordination with the Trails Council, Trail Conference central office staff and volunteers. This includes general outreach and recruiting volunteers and members as well as cultivating support from land managers, municipalities and other interested parties.
- Information. The program coordinator is expected to serve as the primary clearinghouse for information about Trail Conference-maintained trails in the region and to develop a regional communications plan.
- Experience working with volunteer, field staff, agency personnel, contractors, recreational users and other stakeholders
- Public Speaking and presentation development
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of two years of relevant professional experience or five years of substantial volunteer experience
- Must be a self-starter, able to prioritize, to handle multiple tasks and projects across a diverse region, use good judgment and offer recommendations to solve problems
- Ability and willingness to travel and work a variable schedule including evenings and weekends
- Ability to hike on backcountry trails, travel off trail, and perform physical trail work
- Ability to work alongside volunteers using a variety of trail tools
- Valid driver’s license and insurance
- Proficient using Microsoft Office
- Reside within commuting distance of Mahwah, NJ
- Experience in community organizing and advocacy
- Trail design, construction and maintenance skills
- Experience in recruiting, training and managing volunteers
- Familiarity with land use regulations and procedures
- Certification and/or proficiency in technical skills such chainsaw operation, wilderness medical training and GIS
- Experience working with youth and/or in trail or environmental work, environmental education, backcountry travel or service learning
- Experience in natural resource management, outdoor recreation, landscape design, planning, public administration, environmental education or related field
How to Apply
To apply, please submit the all of the following items via email attachments (start all attachment filenames with your last name) to firstname.lastname@example.org. All application materials will be kept confidential.
- A resume
- A cover letter addressing why you are interested in this position and why we should be interested in you
- Your salary requirements or history
The position is available until filled. Candidate interviews will begin immediately and continue until an offer is made. No calls, please.